Cheaper alternative to I3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SterlingSL

Nov 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
Originally came on this group with intentions of getting the Hampton HI300. Wife loved the media shots of the 'enamal timberline brown' finish. Then we get there and it doesn't have the gold stenciling like they show in the photo shoot. She says to hell with it so I get to choose and I go for the I3100....until I see the estimated cost:

Stove - liner - blower + tax + installation = $5200.

First off is that high? About right? I doubt it's a smoking deal.

My other concern is we have a dead A/C & heat pump which will need to be replaced and the estimates I'm seeing there is $5K - $7K.

I'm now looking to see if there are any cheaper alternatives to the I3100. The cost on that with tax was $3857. I still have a $1K install on probaby anything I put in. I keep seeing people refer to stoves they get at Lowes. Lowes would seem a much cheaper option to me and I could probably order something in. We also have a Home Depot here too.

Trying to decide to kill this stove idea, go with the I3100 and go cry in my beer or find something else. Got any ideas?

My other concern is we have a dead A/C & heat pump which will need to be replaced and the estimates I'm seeing there is $5K - $7K

Dallas? Hmmmmm? Wood stove or A/C?_g Not personally knowing the true brutality of a Dallas winter I should likely reserve comment. Buuuut! Just teasing. No offense.
Guess I'd at least consider a reasonably priced model. Considering a great percentage of stove users get by fine with them. Far north of your Lat.

Yeah our winters aren't the most brutal. We barely go below 40 on average for around 3 months. However we've been in this house 16 years and we've frozen our butts off every year. Our house is just cold and heat pumps just plain suck. I've been told technology on them is better but I'd really rather just go conventional A/C and a stove. Not sure how much a conventional A/C runs or even if we can use them here. Seems like everyone has heat pumps.

The gents/lady's here who are truly knowledgeable enough to recommend a few different models/setups/options to you are surely going to ask for a few details on your home layout, existing chimney/fireplace location, sq. footage of home, etc.
I can say I have had the pleasure of helping a close friend install and learn to run a free standing stove made by Drolet (HT2000). It is a good sized stove that is remarkably mild mannered. Many here will say that of Englander stove's in the same reasonable value range. I understand you appear to be looking at inserts. Both mentioned makes have insert models also I believe. Take your time and see what replies pop up here. Good luck.