Cheat River?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpman227

Oct 21, 2013
Southeastern CT
Has anyone burned Cheat River yet this year? I've searched and found mixed reviews from previous years. It's about an hour drive for me to pick some up so just want to see if anyone has tried them yet this year. Thanks.

I drove to pick up a few bags from Lowes. The bags had holes that were taped up to the cashier gave them to me for $2.50 a bag. Hopefully my stove limes them so I can pick up my winter supply this week.

Burned 20 bags last year. They were good with regular ash. I'd pick them up before Green Supremes, some white pine crap I used last year and the North Americans

Have not burned any this year but many years prior and they are average heat and ash

they burn good for me. Bought two tons actually this year. I like them.

Burned a couple bags. Not too impressed. A lot of ash and not that great heat. Wish I could find some more clean energy at Lowes.

Only burned a couple of bags, dark ash. Seems ok, but early, then again, they all seem about the same for me.

Has anyone burned Cheat River yet this year? I've searched and found mixed reviews from previous years. It's about an hour drive for me to pick some up so just want to see if anyone has tried them yet this year. Thanks.
I just posted about these in another thread. I burned about 15 bags of these and I was having alot of ash problems in the burn pot, however seeing as these were the first pellets I ever had...I wasn't sure if this was normal or not...I just got green supreme pellets and they are much better in my stove anyway.

yeah, at this point I have no idea on heat output, but It does seem like my harman chews through these, so, id guess theses arent very good at all.

My stove burns these well. When I see them available, I buy them. I have 6 bags of them in the stash right now. Ash is average and heat is good too.

Reactions: nayslayer
I gotta say I haven't tried a lot of different pellets but these are horrible! Not real dirty but absoloutely no heat at all. I grabbed 4 bags to try and the last bag left is going to be used to fill a hole at the end of my driveway. So far this year sommersets kick out a ton of heat but have burnt very dirty. Easy heats have by far been the best from a heat and ash standpoint, AWF hardwoods have great heat but lots of carbon and ash buildup in the burn pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.