Check my assumptions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

htr2133

Nov 2, 2016
Nashville, TN
I am pulling the trigger on a replacement wood-burning insert for my old smoke dragon. I am leaning toward Drolet 1500i or 1800i. I can fit either; my assumption is go with the biggest unit I can fit? I've triple checked the minimum opening requirements for the 1800i and it does fit. I live in Middle-TN; this is not my sole heat source and the unit will be installed in the downstairs den of a 70's split-foyer home. The home layout does allow for good circulation of the heat up.

yes, I would go with the bigger unit. You can make a smaller fire in the bigger unit, but you can only push the smaller one so far before it maxes out. Drolet has a good reputation here for budget wood inserts, good luck!

Reactions: htr2133
I have a 1.7 cu ft Jotul and the 1800i. It’s really nice to have the bigger box. You can get by with the smaller one but I’d you have a choice go bigger.

Thanks! I just found the Century 2900 for about $100 cheaper. It does look like the blower is on the wrong side for where my existing outlet is located though. That got me to thinking, I can't find any info or pics of where the Century or Drolet 1800 power cord exits the blower housing? Or how installers are routing that power cord in pics on this site. My outlet currently is on the right side of my existing insert and is visible as well as the existing cord. I don't mind that at all and would rather not add cost by relocating the outlet. Can anyone confirm which side the cord exits on either of these units?

Thanks! I just found the Century 2900 for about $100 cheaper. It does look like the blower is on the wrong side for where my existing outlet is located though. That got me to thinking, I can't find any info or pics of where the Century or Drolet 1800 power cord exits the blower housing? Or how installers are routing that power cord in pics on this site. My outlet currently is on the right side of my existing insert and is visible as well as the existing cord. I don't mind that at all and would rather not add cost by relocating the outlet. Can anyone confirm which side the cord exits on either of these units?
Factory it exits the left (as you look at it) but the wires are long enough internally and there may even be a hole on the right that I was able to swap sides and shortened the cord.

They don’t like to show the cords in pictures. I just run it along the hearth. It would look better in painted conduit. A couple well placed decorations or fireplace tools and it really isn’t that noticeable. But if you want it hidden some people go as far to put a switchable out let in the firebox. Code say it needs a a disconnect with in so many feet of the appliance.