checking insert temp during use.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
What is the best way to check the temp of my avalon insert? Should i be using an infared heat tester? Am I checking the glass doors for this temp? What is efficient heat range I should be going for? Thanks

The glass will no doubt be the hottest. It is tough on an insert but with an IR gun you can test for the hottest spot (other than the glass). Most like to see 600-700 tops but some will say 800 is okay.

Backwoods Savage said:
The glass will no doubt be the hottest. It is tough on an insert but with an IR gun you can test for the hottest spot (other than the glass). Most like to see 600-700 tops but some will say 800 is okay.

Thanks, Savage

IR guns are useless on glass or any other reflective surface. If you check the temp with an IR gun on the front of an insert figure that you are reading a hundred to a hundred and fifty degrees less than the top plate of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.