Cherry or Black Birch possibly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAardvark

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2015
Central PA
DSCN0998.JPG
I had some wood dropped off today and it had this in it. To me it looks like birch from the bark, but it is lighter in weight than the maple in the pile with the same moisture % so I was not exactly sure what it is. The inside of the split is yellowish. I was thinking maybe cherry also. Anyone have an idea?

Doubt it's birch. Most likely cherry, but I thought all the cherries had a colored heart? Give it the sniff test. My "left field" guess is Japanese tree lilac, Syringa reticulata, which is seeing something of a revival in the landscape industry.

Black cherry. See you were right the whole time.

Doubt it's birch. Most likely cherry, but I thought all the cherries had a colored heart? Give it the sniff test. My "left field" guess is Japanese tree lilac, Syringa reticulata, which is seeing something of a revival in the landscape industry.
To me it smells like maple. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I just posted the very same type of wood last week. The answer that fit best was pin cherry. I actually just split this wood yesterday. Glad I had a hydro because most of it would have gone to the uglies pile. This stuff is somewhere between yellow birch and American elm to split.

Reactions: Applesister
That's cherry. My favorite firewood :)

Not black cherry, nor black birch.....would agree it's pin cherry

Reactions: Applesister
Status
Not open for further replies.