Chimfex vs. Meeco FireEx Chimney fire suppressants

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
I learned here about Chimfex, and going onto Amazon, I see another product called FireEx Chimney fire suppressant.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Chim...e=UTF8&qid=1417533789&sr=1-2&keywords=chimfex
http://www.amazon.com/MEECOS-RED-DE..._sbs_hg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PD9BC2DZ0A9E97YH4KJ

It seems if you have a chimney fire, you have to light the Chimfex, which is like a roadside flare, vs. tossing the bag of FireEx (unlit) into the stove. Anyone have any opinions about one product vs. the other? The FireEx seems a lot easier to use...

My opinion . . . make sure you burn seasoned wood, burn at the right temp and frequently inspect and clean your chimney . . . and avoid a chimney fire. ;)

Haven't had any issues since following the above advice . . .

That said . . . to answer your original question . . . no real opinion . . . I do have an ABC dry chemical extinguisher in the house (several actually) and a piece of tin foil ready to go in case of emergency.

and a piece of tin foil ready to go in case of emergency

Is that to cover up the air opening on the stove or to chew on while waiting for the fire dept to arrive? That's a new one to me.

The Meeco product says it takes 2 min. to extinguish a fire but a reviewer says it was 5-7 min. Ouch. A lot of bad things can happen in 5 min.

tin foil? what do you do with that, Jake?

Wrap it around my head to keep the fire breathing aliens from reading my thoughts most of the time . . .

But when I need to control a fire I use the tin foil (well aluminum foil) to partially or completely block the primary air supply to help kill or slow down a fire . . . only have used it two or three times . . . but it worked well on those few occasions.

Is that to cover up the air opening on the stove or to chew on while waiting for the fire dept to arrive? That's a new one to me.

That would be the first suggestion . . . close up the air.

Since I am the fire department . . . well part of it, I would already be at the fire scene and there would be no waiting required. ;) :)

Wrap it around my head to keep the fire breathing aliens from reading my thoughts most of the time . . .

I know for a fact that aliens (at least the ones that I know) do not breathe fire. They emit vapor rays that immobilize you and then they eat you starting in the middle. Just sayin ...... :p

I know for a fact that aliens (at least the ones that I know) do not breathe fire. They emit vapor rays that immobilize you and then they eat you starting in the middle. Just sayin ...... :p

Good news then . . . I can finally take off the tin foil hat. Thank you for this post . . . it is much more comfortable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.