Chiminea smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nepatitan

Jun 21, 2013
Poconos, PA
Hey all newbie here.
We just got a clay chiminea last week and have been slowly seasoning it this week. Its sealed, sand on the bottom and working quite nicely. The only issue I am having is that smoke seems to be coming from the mouth as much as it is coming from the stack.
Any help would be grateful

Thanks in advance

Edit: The reason the smoke from the mouth is bothering me is that we bbq quite a lot and cooked some pizzas on it the other night but was smoking me out while checking the pizzas

I've never owner/operated a chiminea_g. I would first suggest using Very dry wood(split and stacked for at least a year), wet wood always makes smoke. Turning the mouth of the firebox into the wind might help. Extending the stack with stove pipe is probably the best solution. The chimney is the engine that draws the smoke up, creating a vacuum in the firebox.

Pizza is a whole lot of area blocking the smoke from going up the pipe. And it has to end up going somewhere that provides the least resistance. It can go up between burgers and steaks but has to get around a pizza.

I'm confused. I've always thought a chiminea was something like this:

chim.jpg

How are you cooking a pizza on something like this?? :rolleyes:

I have an outdoor fireplace, it does smoke out the front if you do not get a good a hard fire going, it all depends on what your burning and how your buning it. You need good dry wood, with a chiminea, I would think you would need to burn a lot of dry kindling continuously, but I don't know, I don't have one. So, it is normal for smoke to pour out the front, but not the entire time your burning, once you get hot coals and are burning wood at high heat, keep feeding it, all you will see is the rays of heat coming out, but you got to get to that point first....
image.jpg

Reactions: Billybonfire
Nice fireplace ram, but what a shame to see that Godin out there rusting.

nepatitan, pictures would help a lot here.

I would like to see pictures of this clay stove too. Sounds interesting.

Nice fireplace ram, but what a shame to see that Godin out there rusting.

nepatitan, pictures would help a lot here.
Not a shame, it is inoperable, I have 3 choices, sell for parts, throw it out or keep it where I burn... So it will stay

Status
Not open for further replies.