chimmney advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE H

Nov 25, 2008
se indiana
Try to be as brief as possible so bear with me. I just purchased a new Pacific Energy Summitt insert. Waiting to have it installed. In the mean time we had -13 degree temp and two days later 55 degrees with 12 hours heavy rain. Crazy! Got up xmas eve and my fireplace was full of water. Running into basement also. Not just a small amount but alot. Backtrack to June. Same issue. Had flashing replaced, new shingles and all rechalked. Flashing was in terrible shape. Since them NO water issues. Lots of rain no problem. Also had fireplace sealed with spray on sealant. OK. Called builder my wifes uncle whom I trust. He said with huge temp change he thinks condensation inside fireplace is the problem. He said it can cause alot of water to drip inside fireplace. Fireplace is only eight years old and he said everything looked in tip top shape. Help with opinions please! I hate to put a new insert in and them have it ruined. Might add after it quit raining water was still dripping 7 hours later. Thanks!!!

You got a leak somewhere that much condensation I don't think so unless you have a rain- forest in you're house..........

Is there a cap on that large hole aimed at the sky?

Are you storing 10 cords of green wood in your basement to have that much condensation?

I live in the same type of weather as you, I'm in the SW Indiana area. My chimney has never done that. You have a crack/leak somewhere that you just haven't found yet.

Dave. I used to live in Evansville. Met my wife in Newburgh. She worked at the pool store there. Cant remember the name of the place though. Back to problem I have. You are right. Has to be a leak. I have already forked out over $1400.00 with little to show. I am out $500.00 deposit on my insert but I am thinking forget it. Keep $500 and let it leak. I havent froze to death in last 8 years. I think I can survive 8 more and spend my money elsewhere. Insert is my wife's idea. I am not real sure I want the hassle of burning wood.

I don't know how you can connect this problem with an insert you simply put a deposit on but haven't installed. Do you think your fireplace caught wind of it and got jealous? You have a leak, plain and simple. You can buy, sell, trade or do whatever with the insert, it won't change the fact you have a leak. My guess is you have ice damming and that needs to be addressed.

Now if it really was condensation inside the fireplace, the insert would actually fix that since you would no longer have this huge hole that moist indoor air is escaping through and condensing on its way out.

I don't remember ever blaming this on a uninstalled insert. I also dont remember asking what to do with my insert. Do you?? Did'nt think so! I have a good idea now! Anyway. I realize its not condensation I need to look elsewhere. Thanks to everyone for the GOOD advice. I may get the insert now. I think I will need to wait and call a masonry to find the HUGE hole that is not allowing my ten cords of green wood to dry.

How's your chimney crown look? Even if they have small cracks water can seep in. Last summer I re coated mine with Defy brushable crown repair.

MIKE H said:
I also dont remember asking what to do with my insert. Do you?? Did'nt think so!
Then why bring it up? I didn't offer any advice on what you should do with it.

A leak could be somwhere far away from where it presents inside. Just cuz if drips in the fireplace doesn't mean the leak on the roof is at the chimney.

You should also look at all the roof vents. Very often, large amounts of snow can drift in through a vent, only to melt suddenly on a mild day. The fact the dripping continued long after the rain stopped could add credence to this theory.

Hey Todd. The more I read the more I think the crown is the place to start. Where did you get your Defy at? Easy to apply? Thanks!

MIKE H said:
Hey Todd. The more I read the more I think the crown is the place to start. Where did you get your Defy at? Easy to apply? Thanks!

That sounds like a good place to start. Mine had a few cracks up there years ago as well.

Now the BAD news, It's going to rain for the next 2 days.. :ahhh:

I'm just full of all kind of good news.

My goal is to cover the top of fireplace with a tarp. I figured this would be a good place to start tracking down the problem. I am glad its going to rain just hold off until I get down. One more thought: How much of a slope on the crown should I be looking for?

I believe I would cover the chimney rather than the fireplace. And look for a hole or entrance for the water rather than a slope or crown.

Sorry! I meant to say cover the chinney. Thats why I hope I get down before the rain starts. Can Defy be applied even in this cold weather?? Do you guys think covering the chinney is a good place to start? I dont want to waste my time if I should try something else first.

Status
Not open for further replies.