chimney brush-round or square

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
Can I use a round chimney brush for my rectangular clay flu's.

The average measure for the clays is 7 inches by 71/2 to 7 3/4.

Would 8 inch round brush do the job.

I am assuming they should be snug when cleaning.

They can be snug okay enough. Just get one stuck one time (And they will stick! It is a big job to get them out then!) and you will definitely wish you had bought the right tool for the job.

Backwoods Savage said:
They can be snug okay enough. Just get one stuck one time (And they will stick! It is a big job to get them out then!) and you will definitely wish you had bought the right tool for the job.
Ja, too snug and they work like ratchet dogs... one way only. take short up and down strokes and advance it a little at a time until you know how the chimney may grab it. Round brushes in round flues can be easier cuz you can rotate the brush when you get into some tight spaces around bends.

I have the same setup and we pull ours through with cord. One direction only, but as it is a snug fit, the corners get cleaned great and it's never taken more than 5 sweeps through. My son pulls it through from above, I feed it through the ash clean out door at the chimney bottom and after a few pulls, I shine a bright light up the chimney and he inspects. Works great, we tried it first with a sectional rod, big mistake, as it took for ever to get the brush tines to pop back for a pull out. One way only.

Regards,

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.