Chimney brushes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryAnn

Nov 30, 2005
Looked for chimney brushes locally. Everywhere is out. I have a class A chimney, 6 inch. So, I would assume I need to order a 6 inch poly brush and rods. My question is about cleaning the stove pipe. Do we use the brush to also clean the stovepipe? Or do we remove stovepipe to clean it? First season with woodstove. Stove also has a baffle. Someone on this site gave us a good way to clean stove with baffle. Remove 1st section of stove pipe, secure a trash bag around stove pipe to catch any debris. Any brands of brushes better than others?

I ordered brush and rods from Acehardware.com

Arrived in a few days

Open up your bypass or remove your baffle. Sweep it all the way down. The only time I ever remove stovepipe to clean it is when it has elbow that I can't get my brush around. Or if I have to sweep from the bottom. Master Sweep brushes are good, but for a homeowner I would imagine that any brush you get will last for years as it's only used 1-2 times per year rather than 4-6 times per day.

they sure are. we had a discussion about that on here just a short while ago.

Most chimney brushes have a loop on the end for attaching a rope. Why not drop a rope down and attach the brush and pull it up or down. Home depot was discounting fireplace supplies to make room for spring inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.