Chimney Cap and BlockOff Plate Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can crimp light wall liner to make it fit or get an adapter to go between the 2

I was afraid if I snipped the liner to open it up a hair that it would open up like a tuna cap

you want the liner to go inside the adapter anyway

Why wouldn't I want the adaptor sitting inside , just like a gutter. Adaptor, then the liner over the adaptor.....

you always want the male end facing down that way anything coming down the liner will end up in the stove and not ontop of it

Hmm, let me snap a few pictures and get on my pic to edit them I'll post them here. So are you saying I could technically bend the liner to fit inside of the appliances adaptor?

0611843ea79bf9c784240653482a4383.jpg

This is what I'm working with

yeah with a sheet metal crimper just like stove pipe

Yeah you either need to get another adapter or get a set of crimpers and crimp the end of the liner

So trim that liner? Bend it and shove it into the adaptor? What about the fire and smoke, if I do that it could escape around liner

no go to the hardware store and get the right tool to do it with then seal it with furnace cement

Are you attempting to connect the liner directly to the hard pipe coming from the stove? Flex liners don't work like that - you need to get an adapter to go from the flex to regular pipe, then connect that pipe to the pipe coming off your stove.

ac957b50302c13eb009a552d68939c42.jpg

This is the top of the insert. The pic I posted earlier show a small price I cut off my liner and the appliance adaptor. The plan is to put the appliance adaptor on the stove and connect the liner to it....

Yeah i got that either way will work as long as you can crimp it with out damaging the liner i have done it many times with ventinox i dont see why it wouldnt work with your liner.

So crimp the liner, make it smaller in diameter to fit inside of the appliance adaptor, then seal it with stove cement and flu tape?? Is the ok to be permanent? I don't plan on taking this thing out again for a long time. Pardon all my questions and short sentences. Typing on the phone

Tape wont do anything there is no tape rated to a high enough temp to hold up

0611843ea79bf9c784240653482a4383.jpg

This is what I'm working with

I'm assuming that appliance adapter has the oval you need for the top of your stove? I've never seen something like that used. If you want to make it work you could cut your liner and shove it in there but honestly I wouldn't do that. I suggest getting the correct adapters to do it correctly. It appears you only need to buy a liner adapter that goes to 8" male which would slip into your current adapter and then you screw them together.

I've never seen something like that used.
it is pretty common when you are installing an old insert with a liner that was never really meant to have a liner hooked to it. And no you dont cut the liner at all just crimp the end. An adapter will work well also but he doesnt have one now and crimping it is perfectly acceptable. But with light wall like that you will need to rivit it to the adarter and use backing washers the material of the liner isnt thick enough for screws to work right

And where. Oils I find that? Your correct the bottom of that liner is a 10" oval, it transition to 8" round and then the liner was supposed to slide over that and I was going to throw a few sheet metal screws to secure it

You can get the adapters just from the place you bought the liner from

I'm guessing I need another piece that is going to slide over the appliance adaptor, but inside of the liner correct??

All piping facing downward should go inside the pipe below it. This is so creosote that drips down can't exit the pipe seams and possibly cause a fire that wouldn't be contained inside the piping. I ordered my liner stuff from Chimneylinerdepot.com. They should have what you need. You shouldn't need to use any stove cement if you do it correctly, which I recommend since you don't want to keep pulling this thing out.

No inside the appliance adapter and outside the liner

I'm guessing I need another piece that is going to slide over the appliance adaptor, but inside of the liner correct??

It will slide inside the appliance connector and outside of the 8" liner. Make sure you are clear when you call to order.

Status
Not open for further replies.