Chimney Cap came loose, Sweep claims I had multiple fires and liner needs replaced.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heatmeinIL

Nov 10, 2023
Southern IL
Lost time lurker, first time poster.

Had a chimney sweep out last month for an inspection on my wood stove insert. Heartstone Clydesdale. 6" Stainless flexible liner, uninsulated as far as I know.

My chimney cap had come loose over the summer, there was a small oak branch that raked up against it and wanted it re-secured as well as a sweep. He sent his guy to look at it, take pictures, and then proceeded to cancel the sweep and quote me for a new liner, top plate and termination cap. I wasn't home, my wife was, so I was talking with him on the phone, then when I let him know I was only 5 minutes away to talk to him about it he jammed a quote in the door and left as I was pulling down my lane.

I jammed a go-pro with a flashlight on a fiberglass fish tape to check it out. (I know, I know). The only creosote build up was at the top foot or so.

He claims there has been a number of time this liner has caught on fire. I had it swept mid-season last year with no concerns from the sweep and inspection (different sweep, hard to get scheduled).

I have attached some photos to see if you guys think its warranted or if you believe it ever really had a fire. I would do a visual inspection of the flue exit pretty much every time I burned and never saw anything suspect.

112943.jpeg 112944.jpeg 112947.jpeg 112948.jpeg 112949.jpeg

Lost time lurker, first time poster.

Had a chimney sweep out last month for an inspection on my wood stove insert. Heartstone Clydesdale. 6" Stainless flexible liner, uninsulated as far as I know.

My chimney cap had come loose over the summer, there was a small oak branch that raked up against it and wanted it re-secured as well as a sweep. He sent his guy to look at it, take pictures, and then proceeded to cancel the sweep and quote me for a new liner, top plate and termination cap. I wasn't home, my wife was, so I was talking with him on the phone, then when I let him know I was only 5 minutes away to talk to him about it he jammed a quote in the door and left as I was pulling down my lane.

I jammed a go-pro with a flashlight on a fiberglass fish tape to check it out. (I know, I know). The only creosote build up was at the top foot or so.

He claims there has been a number of time this liner has caught on fire. I had it swept mid-season last year with no concerns from the sweep and inspection (different sweep, hard to get scheduled).

I have attached some photos to see if you guys think its warranted or if you believe it ever really had a fire. I would do a visual inspection of the flue exit pretty much every time I burned and never saw anything suspect.

View attachment 318449 View attachment 318450 View attachment 318451 View attachment 318452 View attachment 318453
I don't see anything there indicating a fire but I don't know what else is there

Did he say why he thought that or provide a pictures of damage?
He said the reason the cap/top plate lifted up was due to multiple fires that warped it. He wouldn't say that the liner was damaged. Just that it needs replaced. I'm not upset about the amount it seems reasonable. But my jaw dropped when he said the word fires several time and I was in shock so I had trouble thinking to get more information to see if my BS meter would go off.

The pictures he provided are attached on the 1st post.

I think there are 2 questions here. Was there a fire(s) and is the liner damaged or compromised?

I think I’d be reviewing your GoPro footage closely to see if there’s any damage.

Maybe get another sweep out.

The liner expanded at some point after the top plate was sealed down. I’ve seen it before with this type of top plate. He was trying to play you…

Reactions: NickW
The liner expanded at some point after the top plate was sealed down. I’ve seen it before with this type of top plate. He was trying to play you…
Now that makes sense. Going to have another contractor out to check it out. Probably best to install new top plate? Then they might have to trim a 1/2 off the top of that liner so it's not pushing up the top plate? Will come back with what the next guy tells me and I have do.

Now that makes sense. Going to have another contractor out to check it out. Probably best to install new top plate? Then they might have to trim a 1/2 off the top of that liner so it's not pushing up the top plate? Will come back with what the next guy tells me and I have do.
Just scrape off the old silicone, move the top plate down, and trim the liner off. Easy repair, no need to call in another contractor.

I brought in another guy to inspect it. Didn't tell him what the previous sweep told me until the end. He said no fires. Everything looked good. He resecured the plate. Couple hours after he leaves I hear it move. So I walk outside take a look. The liner just pushed it horizontally.

So I got everything I needed climbed up there. He did a terrible job of removing the old caulk and getting a clean surface to bond to on the terra cotta. I brought the top plate down and got spic and span. Cleaned it off with alcohol, brought it up. Removed old caulk from terra cotta, cleaned up the surface really well, secured the top plate with silicone and a little homemade wooden apparatus to keep it square for a couple days. Gunna run back up there probably Monday and pull my tool off Monday and make sure it's all good. If it is, light off the first burn Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks all. I'll try to remember to take a picture when I get back up there Monday

In addition to the silicone, I'd feel better when the top plate was secured to the tile liner either by small tapcons, or with the side clamp style. Also, all silicone is not the same. Some are more of a sealant and not as good as an adhesive.

Good thing you got a second opinion. Too bad they didn't do more careful a job of securing the darn thing down. Best of luck here on!