Chimney Cap design (flaws/advantages)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REF1

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2009
South West, VA
What kind of chimney cap do you have? What kind have you had and believed it hampered drafting?

My current cap, which came with the liner kit, just seems, by ground observation and stove use, to retard the draft. The one I had installed on the chimney before the liner seemed to work a lot better in allowing air to escape. This one just looks like it is containing the smoke rather than letting it escape with any speed. And alas, obvious creosote build-up. Unfortunately the previous one will not work with the new set up.

Chimney caps and draft retardation. Fallacy?

Well, that has come up a lot recently in posts. I've seen several people mentioning that their Simpson cap was clogging. Mine did, but I accept responsibility for poor wood later in the season, and not getting up to check the cap. At least one person has said that their Simpson is fine.

Looking at posted pictures, the mesh does seem smaller than others. Maybe the large top rain cover acts as a great heatsink, encouraging deposits..

Maybe it's not the cap.

Great site. Thanks. Certainly there is a great difference between no cap and some kind of cap in all situations recorded. The masonry cap and screen is what I had and it seems to be the overall best performer in all situations. I now have a B vent-type. It seemed the poorest performer, save for against a 45 degree updraft of wind. Clear winner there.

Status
Not open for further replies.