Chimney Cap Issues (clogging screen)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a little bit on mine. I used a long reach paintbrush pole with a small wire brush attached to the end. I was able to clean it off from quite a distance. It was more or less just ash that easily swept away.

BeGreen said:
I suggested a while back taking snips or cutting pliers to change the mesh from 1/2" to 1" by cutting out the center crosses of alternating squares of the mesh.

Yep, going to do this at the weekend, will report back

Look what I found on my chimney cap. This is after I banged the mesh with an old cue stick to eliminate the blocked holes. As you can see my installer did not insulate or secure the cap at the top of the chimney. I was told it was sealed and insulated, I can only guess how much heat loss is going up there. This is high up, I had a 32 foot ladder on the corner and could not reach the cap itself and I was pissed at the install. I called the dealer and supposedly they will schedule a trip next year after the holidays. Hopefully I can atleast burn now but the install does upset me.

Attachments

• chimney 001.jpg
    chimney 001.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 599
Jags said:
That would send Jags to a whole new level of ticked off. Call them to the carpet.
I know Jags, the more I think about it the more pissed off I am. How could you leave a cap like that, he was trying to claim you cannot drill into the terracada clay and may have to use longer aluminum to bend over. As I drive around and tend to look at chimneys I have never seen anything like this. I am going to give him until some time in January and if it is not resolved it sounds like magistrate time.

By the way tapping the cap did clear up my smoke issue with the door. Of course I had to take the baffles off to clean them from creosote. Do you think this improper install had anything to do with the build up on the mesh?

One thick bead of silicone caulk around the top of the flue tile and mash it down to set and then tighten the band on the liner to hold it. Just like in the installation instructions for every liner kit on the planet. That installer needs some education.

And a kick in the ass.

Yeah G&W - you really don't need to anchor it with mechanical fasteners. A bead of good caulk will glue it down just fine.

It is possible that it could contribute to your problem if there was air intrusion into the stack, cooling it off.

I am SOOooo glad I was able to do my own install..

I hate to say it, but by January, I would already have a court date. No "it's the holidays" or the "busy time of the year" horsepoop would even begin to cut it after I found that.

Status
Not open for further replies.