Chimney Cap Modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treemoss

Sep 1, 2013
LI NY
Woke up yesterday with two birds in my firebox I guess it's time to block the cap. Ran the cleaning brush up the pipe to make sure there was no nests forming. Is it ok for me to use galvanize diamond screening to keep the birds out. I have a four by eight sheet of galvanized stucco screen. I cut out of 5" x 30" and wrapped it around the outside and wired it together. Or do I have to buy a stainless steel band that they sell as you see with the pics below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 330
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 314
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 336
You can probably get by with either one, but I'd try to get the largest openings available up to maybe 3/4". If you burn ANY unseasoned wood at all, the resultant deposits will be on that mesh & you won't believe how fast that will block completely...

You can probably get by with either one, but I'd try to get the largest openings available up to maybe 3/4". If you burn ANY unseasoned wood at all, the resultant deposits will be on that mesh & you won't believe how fast that will block completely...

So with my other post about black tar on my cap, this means I will have major problems with blockage. I thought any bigger holes those little birds will get back in.

So with my other post about black tar on my cap, this means I will have major problems with blockage. I thought any bigger holes those little birds will get back in.

If you keep the holes smaller than the birds, you will not have a problem. If you are getting build up on your chimney cap, check the moisture content of your wood. That's the culprit...

That stucco mesh will clog much faster than 1/2" or 3/4" screen.

You can use the galvanized but it will only last a year or two, but for the price difference, who cares?! I agree with gettin the bigger holes, I bought the Selkirk screen that was 1/2" screen, it would plug up. 3/4" seems to be a good size for draft/no buildup/keepin critters out

chicken wire worked pretty good for me, holes are big enough the creosote don't build up but small enough to keep the birds out.

Hey do you think that maybe a little clogged screen might help me with my draft that is too strong or am I just thinking stupid. Can the cap catch fire or is it not hot enough up there to do that.

Letting the cap clog is not really a great idea for draft control, it won't stay just a little clogged for very long.
If burning good dry wood, it should not clog much at all.
The cap ain't gonna burn unless the entire stack is burning like a freight train.
How tall is the stack that you feel the draft is too strong.
I have a pretty strong draft at 27", but not too strong that it is an issue.

Bigger is better here as mentioned above. FYI - for obvious reasons you wont get any birds in there once you start burning 24/7 so maybe just leave it until spring and add something through the off season to keep them out. I had my first two birds in the fire box this summer. Both were saved to live another day.

What kind of chimney system/cap do you have? Many manufacturers make an optional screen for their caps. The Selkirk cap you pictured above has one available, but the band you mentioned is part of the cap, not an option that can be added and will not keep birds out.

Excel makes a universal mesh kit too.

I have a 20' Selkirk sure temp chimney, Also the Selkirk ht cap. I feel my draft is strong because every time I turn the air down all the way it burns pretty good. The flames burns my 3 to 4 pieces of 4 inch splits up in 2 hours. As for the wire I already put a piece around the cap. Let's see how long it holds up. If I have to change it every month I'll probably leave it off like you suggested until the spring good idea. The wire is nice and tight it's not going anywhere. How long it is going to take to get clogged is the real question. I might look for a bigger hole wire to see if it last longer if this does not work well.

My Simpson cap came with a 1/2" mesh stainless steel screen, no problems with it clogging.

My Simpson cap came with a 1/2" mesh stainless steel screen, no problems with it clogging.
Dura-vent used to come with the mesh, but they quit because of problems with clogging.
With good burning practices, the mesh will be no issue at all.

Reactions: Hogwildz
Status
Not open for further replies.