Chimney Cap Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ckg

Jan 12, 2014
Canada
I’m serious considering just removing my chimney cap for the remainder of winter.
I’m running a pacific energy stove , 7 feet of double wall and another 5 feet of insulated out the top. The cap is just a basic one no screen just two dishes spaced about 4 inches apart.
My question is with our stove running non stop is there any harm of having the cap off in order to avoid the mess it makes on our tin roof. ie brown stain. Also any snow that hits the top cap drops down and creates icicles on the bottom saucer.

I’m serious considering just removing my chimney cap for the remainder of winter.
I’m running a pacific energy stove , 7 feet of double wall and another 5 feet of insulated out the top. The cap is just a basic one no screen just two dishes spaced about 4 inches apart.
My question is with our stove running non stop is there any harm of having the cap off in order to avoid the mess it makes on our tin roof. ie brown stain. Also any snow that hits the top cap drops down and creates icicles on the bottom saucer.
That really depends upon what pipe you have. Some chimney pipe has a sealed pipe head in which case it wouldn't cause an issue. But many do not and with the cap off the insulation will be exposed

I wouldn't. Moisture dripping into the stove could be a worse long-term problem.