Q&A Chimney cap- Should I buy ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi, I searched your Q&A database but didn't see a similar question. I was told by a chimney sweep that a chimney cap would prevent water from coming into the chimney and rusting my stove. How likely is it that my stove would rust out due to water coming in through the chimney? (I have a steel stove, so I am concerned). Is a chimney cap worth the expense?

Answer:

Good question ! Here's the scoop: A chimney cap will prevent some water from going down the chimney. However, it is rare that this water would cause a steel stove to rust or even shorten it's life. There are, however, other reasons to consider a chimney cap. Birds, Raccoons and other critters LOVE to go into warm chimneys...and having an animal removal expert come to your home can cost hundreds of dollars. In addition, a lot of water in your chimney can worsen the stale chimney odor that often occurs during the humid weather. Lastly, most caps have a screening that protects against large sparks or embers exiting your flue (onto your roof)

All in all, a pretty good investment...I recommend the 100% stainless steel models - Around $75 to $100. installed

11/2007 Updated price for stainless steel chimney caps $100-$200

Status
Not open for further replies.