Chimney cleaning brushes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianN

Feeling the Heat
Aug 30, 2012
Central BC
Kicking my a$$ today.
I went to the "big city" yesterday. (We live in a small town where the stores are closed Sunday, and the hardware store doesn't have much selection for chimney cleaning products)
While there, I was looking for the best way to purchase brushes to clean both my chimneys. We have a 4" chimney for the pellet stove, and an 8" chimney for the wood stove.
At first, I thought that I would just get a 4" brush and an 8" brush and 25' of flex pole. All said and done, would be about $100 - $120. Well, as it turns out, the 4" and 8" brushes have different connectors, therefore, cannot use the same flex rod. Unless, I make an adaptor of some sort.
I was also looking at the soot eater. But, with that, I would have to buy the main kit that comes with 18' of flex rod and one head and costs $100. Then, I would have to buy another head, $40 and two more flex rods, $35. Totalling nearly $200 after taxes.
Looking back, I should have just bit the bullet, and got what I needed.
What are your thoughts? Soot eater? or plain push rod and brush?

Have you looked at online suppliers like Northline Express? They have a bigger selection of brushes and rods than your local hardware can possibly stock, including adapters, and the prices might be better too.

Reactions: BrianN
How sooty could your pellet stove chimney possibly be?

Well, when we bought the house last year, we quickly figured out that it probably has never been cleaned. From the paper work that we found, the stove was installed 6 years ago. So, six years of burning, I'm sure that there could be a lot of soot up there.

The pellet brushes take a smaller diameter rod, and the rods are more flexible.
If its a fairly straight run, I agree on one set of rods(larger diameter rods for the 8" brush) and and adapter for use with the pellet pipe brush.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianN
I think that is the way I am going to go. Both chimneys are straight runs, approx. 25' each.
I will go to the hardware store tomorrow and see if I can find an adaptor for the pellet brush.
Thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.