Chimney cleaning cost?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saberbass

Feb 20, 2020
Brandon, MB, Canada
Just wondering what everyone pays for a chimney cleaning? I got my stove last year so first year burning. Thought it was best to get a professional and had to book a month and a half in advance to get the cleaning. Took the guy 1/2 an hour 180 bucks, ouch. On the bright side it was all good soot no creosote so next year I will use the soot eater myself and get a pro every couple of years.

Just wondering what everyone pays for a chimney cleaning? I got my stove last year so first year burning. Thought it was best to get a professional and had to book a month and a half in advance to get the cleaning. Took the guy 1/2 an hour 180 bucks, ouch. On the bright side it was all good soot no creosote so next year I will use the soot eater myself and get a pro every couple of years.
It varies greatly by area. We charge $175 plus tax unless it is overly difficult etc. I know some areas are $250+.

And honestly 175 isn't enough we are going to have to raise prices again

Truck, tools, insurance, gas, earn a living and lots of miles between jobs.

Man has to earn a living.

The local place quoted $158 a few years ago. They have probably gone up, too.

Well peace of mind is sometimes worth the price . Good to know I'm in the ballpark.
I paid $149 on special. Normal is $185 but if you sign up before June 30 the price is 149 and he'll get you anytime he can before Sept. Lets him get a few in the same area before the drive.

That price is inline with our local cost. Ask them if they have lower off season rates.

Did you consider to do it yourself this year? Buy the tool now and you can do it every year for now on.

I did get a soot eater, but being the first year I did want a professional opinion. I will probably get a pro every couple years for peace of mind.
We have a fair number of customers who do that.

Here in CA it just cost me $180. That's for a 32' chimney. They clean it from the bottom and don't climb the roof to inspect the cap. I think that would cost quite a bit more.

I remove the baffle before they show up to make their job a little easier.

I did get a soot eater, but being the first year I did want a professional opinion. I will probably get a pro every couple years for peace of mind.
I did the same. Got a new stove last fall and being unfamiliar with it and the best burning practices for that model I had the sweep come do it this year. Didn’t get a hardly anything. Sweep told me to give it 3 years if I keep burning the same wood the same way. I’ve got a soot eater that I’ll use annually.

My sooteater was purchased around 2009, I think. I broke 1 rod when I tried to teach my kid how to clean the chimney. Its been a great tool.

Reactions: Treacherous
I had my chimney cleaned professionally its cost 180. I was fine paying that. I do it myself. I do it myself because scheduling was an issue. I even did a mid season sweep but it kept getting moved around. The beginning of January became mid February. I do it myself mostly out of convenience. Its super easy and now saving the roughly 360 a year is a bonus. I sweep when ever i feel I need, I do it twice a season.

Reactions: Treacherous