Chimney cleaning DIY resources

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PDutro

Sep 26, 2021
Oregon
I’ve got a recently installed RSF Focus 3600. We’ve had two fires so far and it’s a great little fireplace.

The chimney is Excel double wall insulated 6” stainless steel. My understanding is to use a nylon (non-metal) brush.

The manual suggests cleaning it once a week in the beginning to get a read on how much buildup is happening. It’s almost summer time here and we won’t be having many fires, but I’d like to be ready come fall to sweep the chimney myself.

I’ve read through as many posts as I could find on chimney brushes v.s. soot-eater, and the sweeping process.

I’m still not clear whether I should go with a soot eater or standard 6” nylon/poly brush?

I’m also looking for additional tutorials that might be of benefit for a newbie.

Thanks

I have very easy roof access and it’s easier and less messy for me to clean top down. (Take out baffles close stove doors sweep down into a box, open stove door take box out done) I chose poly brush and rods. It takes longer to get my multi flue cap off than run the brush down two 6” liners. getting the baffle assembly out the front is the hardest part of the job for my Jotul. 45 seconds on my Drolet.

Bottom up spot eater is probably easier.

Cleaning process is easy enough I don’t think a tutorial is needed. Read your manual and figure out how to remove everything that has to come out to clean. if using threaded rods, Don’t twist them counter clockwise as they could unthread.
I think the new soot eater has locking rods.

If you haven’t figured it out yet dry wood results is cleaner chimneys. I burn 1-2 cords and decided to sweep on even years recently. Weekly sweeps seems like overkill.

Reactions: PDutro
Sooteater works well. The standard poly brush available to homeowners is way too stiff in my opinion. I’d love a nice soft bristled poly brush but can’t find one for cheap and I just keep using my sooteater with good results.

I take the burner tubes and baffle outta mine and go on the roof and poly brush it clean,going to get a soot eater as my age and metal roof is making it tougher every year

Top-down roof days are not going to happen for me. The roof is getting older and I don't want to add wear. I am also getting old enough that it's just unwise for me to be up there, as much as I enjoy the view. The sooteater gets the job done quickly for me.

Cleaning once a week is obsessive. I'm surprised that is suggested in a manual. Once a month at the beginning should be sufficient unless the wood is poorly seasoned. If the wood is fully seasoned then once a season should suffice with proper burning.

I have very easy roof access and it’s easier and less messy for me to clean top down. (Take out baffles close stove doors sweep down into a box, open stove door take box out done) I chose poly brush and rods. It takes longer to get my multi flue cap off than run the brush down two 6” liners. getting the baffle assembly out the front is the hardest part of the job for my Jotul. 45 seconds on my Drolet.

Bottom up spot eater is probably easier.

Cleaning process is easy enough I don’t think a tutorial is needed. Read your manual and figure out how to remove everything that has to come out to clean. if using threaded rods, Don’t twist them counter clockwise as they could unthread.
I think the new soot eater has locking rods.

If you haven’t figured it out yet dry wood results is cleaner chimneys. I burn 1-2 cords and decided to sweep on even years recently. Weekly sweeps seems like overkill.
Excellent reply, thank you. I’m able to get up on my roof easily so I will plan to get a poly brush set .

I feel like you gave me exactly what I needed to move forward, I love it when that happens!

Do you recommend a brush brand?

Sooteater works well. The standard poly brush available to homeowners is way too stiff in my opinion. I’d love a nice soft bristled poly brush but can’t find one for cheap and I just keep using my sooteater with good results.
Is the problem with stiffness just in fitting the brush in to pipe? Or are there other concerns with a stiff brush?

I take the burner tubes and baffle outta mine and go on the roof and poly brush it clean,going to get a soot eater as my age and metal roof is making it tougher every year
I would be hesitant to try it on a metal roof. Fortunately mine is standard asphalt/composite shingle and a single level ranch.

Means I have to clean my own gutters!

Can you recommend a brand of poly brush?

Top-down roof days are not going to happen for me. The roof is getting older and I don't want to add wear. I am also getting old enough that it's just unwise for me to be up there, as much as I enjoy the view. The sooteater gets the job done quickly for me.

Cleaning once a week is obsessive. I'm surprised that is suggested in a manual. Once a month at the beginning should be sufficient unless the wood is poorly seasoned. If the wood is fully seasoned then once a season should suffice with proper burning.
Yeah, it’s recommended only in the beginning as a precaution to monitor the rate of soot and creosote build up. I will probably check after a dozen fires since it’s almost summer here and we will be having most of our fires outdoors for awhile! Plan to sweep it before the cool weather rolls in.

I would be hesitant to try it on a metal roof. Fortunately mine is standard asphalt/composite shingle and a single level ranch.

Means I have to clean my own gutters!

Can you recommend a brand of poly brush?
I use the imperial polypropylene

Is the problem with stiffness just in fitting the brush in to pipe? Or are there other concerns with a stiff brush?
Good question. For me at the time. I used the 6 inch poly brush on what I think was a 5.5 inch flex liner (long story). I got about 1 foot down the lightwall flex liner and realized it was stuck. I thought for sure I was going to end up damaging the liner. I didn’t but bought the sooteater and very easily cut that to size.
I ended up switching to a heavy wall flex liner bc my first install was pretty crappy and that is way more durable, but I still use the sooteater bc it’s what I have and it works.

Good question. For me at the time. I used the 6 inch poly brush on what I think was a 5.5 inch flex liner (long story). I got about 1 foot down the lightwall flex liner and realized it was stuck. I thought for sure I was going to end up damaging the liner. I didn’t but bought the sooteater and very easily cut that to size.
I ended up switching to a heavy wall flex liner bc my first install was pretty crappy and that is way more durable, but I still use the sooteater bc it’s what I have and it works.
Yeah, that would be a problem.

My excel pipe is a legitimate 6”. I’ve read the 6” poly brushes are a little tight at first. So having a 5.5” pipe would be a no-go.

I image after using it for awhile it would soften up some? Maybe conforming to the dimensions of the pipe over time.

Yeah, that would be a problem.

My excel pipe is a legitimate 6”. I’ve read the 6” poly brushes are a little tight at first. So having a 5.5” pipe would be a no-go.

I image after using it for awhile it would soften up some? Maybe conforming to the dimensions of the pipe over time.
Not sure. The bristles are pretty hefty, I don’t think they’d wear down very much.