Chimney cleaning hack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eman85

Minister of Fire
Oct 10, 2022
E TN
I cleaned my chimney, I do top down with a brush and the pipe is straight from the stove up. On my Encore if you sweep the sweepings fall straight down on and behind the bypass damper and can also fall off to the sides and clog the chamber. I used a cardboard template and made a shield from a piece of aluminum coil (aluminum used to be bent to cover fascia) to fit over the bypass damper. The coil is thin and flexible so I made it with flaps that once in place I can bend outward and protect the chamber. It worked great, swept down and it caught it all so I could vacum it out easily. In the past If I didn't place something over the damper it would go behind it and down into the chambers.

Reactions: Bobbob
Nice.
My stove has a wool liner over a baffle board. Pretty fragile stuff. I slide my telescoping pipe up a couple inches and put a trivet over the flue, and slide the pipe back down to keep me from going into the stove. I bag the pipe to catch the debris.
37C55EDB-4284-4913-B630-161F35C8BFC9.jpeg

C86FF219-5C7D-4DD7-A401-F1B07A9871D5.jpeg

AC2991F8-871F-4737-829C-7960555D30B3.jpeg

Reactions: BobcatBranch