Chimney cleaning question with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camben

Mar 22, 2014
PA
This is my first attempt at cleaning my chimney. I borrowed my father in laws brush. Due to the height of my chimney I decided to give it a try from the fireplace because I am scared of heights and don't feel comfortable. My question is this, is it ok to clean the chimney like this? I took the damper off which allowed the brush more clearance and it also gave me a better view of the flue. I thought it went pretty good and wasn't that much of a pain to do myself. I posted a few pics of the process and would like any and all comments on how I went about this or things I could do different. I have an open fireplace and usually burn it hot so I wasn't expecting to see much. Do the pics look normal with what is laying there or should I just pay a chimney sweep $140. image.jpgimage.jpg

Can you look up the chimney with a very good spotlight / flashlight and see the tiles well enough to see if there are cracks?

Is there a smoke shelf that creosote may be accumulated on that can be cleaned?

Were you able to reach all of the way to the top with the brush / poles you were using?

Are you certain that if there is a cap, that it's clean and still properly secured since it probably was bumped? (binoculars might help here).

Was the brush the appropriate size for the chimney? Did it fit snugly but not so tight that you were worried about it getting stuck?

Good luck.

Can you look up the chimney with a very good spotlight / flashlight and see the tiles well enough to see if there are cracks?

Is there a smoke shelf that creosote may be accumulated on that can be cleaned?

Were you able to reach all of the way to the top with the brush / poles you were using?

Are you certain that if there is a cap, that it's clean and still properly secured since it probably was bumped? (binoculars might help here).

Was the brush the appropriate size for the chimney? Did it fit snugly but not so tight that you were worried about it getting stuck?

Good luck.
I will try to answer the questions the best I can. I could not see the entire flue due to the height but from what I could see the tiles looked ok.
I do not have a smoke shelf and the brush I used felt like it was a good fit. It had a little resistance but never felt that it would get stuck. I was able to get the brush up to the vent cap. Once I felt the brush hit the top I went outside and verified as I could see the brush through the mesh in the cap. I'm fairly certain I did not disturb the cap as it is secured with hardware that was in good shape last year when I had it cleaned professionally. The last 2 years I had it cleaned the guy said it was in good shape and didn't see any issues. Hopefully this helps you out. Thanks

Sounds like you are good to go. Well done.

Getting a pro sweep done every few years is a good idea so that they can keep an eye on the top of the chimney, but otherwise, sounds like you have your bases covered.

How much wood do you burn?

Sounds like you are good to go. Well done.

Getting a pro sweep done every few years is a good idea so that they can keep an eye on the top of the chimney, but otherwise, sounds like you have your bases covered.

How much wood do you burn?
I'm thinking that I should be ok. I was thinking the same thing in regards to getting a pro to look at it every couple years, just so I can sleep better at night... As for how much wood I go through, it's probably around a cord and a half. One of these days when I have some extra money sitting around I would like to get an insert for it. This is only my 3rd year in this house and I start a fire any chance I get, I just love the smell, looks and sound of it.

Hehe, I noticed you love the "smell, looks and sound".......... When you get an insert, you'll get to add HEAT to that list! :p

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.