Q&A Chimney Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I always clean my exterior masonry chimney from my wood stove during the summer after the burning season has ended. Does it make a difference whether I do it as soon as the season ends or wait a while ? Didn't know if waiting might allow for any build up to harden and become brittle providing a better end result. Any sweeps that can provide some insight

Answer:

Since creosote is corrosive, it's best to clean the chimney as soon as possible after the burning season. Also, creosote smells bad and removing it will help lessen odors that may fall into your house from the chimney during the summer, as well.There are 3 basic stages of creosote:- a light soot that can most easily be brushed out- a thicker and more crunchy buildup that can still be brushed out- a thick coating, which is sticky like tar on a newly paved road; it's like trying to brush chewing gum out of a chimney. Once dried out, say over the course of the summer, it has a peanut brittle type of consistency. This third stage is a job best suited for a pro to clean - a brush won't do the job and special equipment and techniques are used. This third stage creosote is caused by excessive moisture in the wood, and can be prevented or lessened by avoiding green (unseasoned) or wet wood (which has been rained on). Keep your wood covered and dry, and burn the fires hotter if this type of creosote is building up in your chimney.-KarenDuke Chimney Services

Status
Not open for further replies.