Chimney cleaning with capped tee - and sealed cleanout??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hawkeye1873

Nov 28, 2022
United States
I recently had my external chimney lined in prep for putting a wood stove back in. After the guy left, I find that the bottom cap seems to be screwed to the tee and the outside clean out door has been sealed shut with something. I can't figure out how we are supposed to clean our liner now except for renting a boom or scaffold every time to do it top down as the chimney is 8 feet above the very steep metal roof. Any advice?

You can take the black pipe off clean the pipe and stick a vacuum hose in the clean out to suck up the junk

My suggestion would be make them come back and extend the liner down to the cleanout. Yes you can clean through the crock with a rotary cleaner but it's a pain and you shouldn't have to

My suggestion would be make them come back and extend the liner down to the cleanout. Yes you can clean through the crock with a rotary cleaner but it's a pain and you shouldn't have to
They won't return my calls asking about the sealed door, so I'm pretty sure they're not gonna fix the liner/add more liner below the tee unfortunately.

They won't return my calls asking about the sealed door, so I'm pretty sure they're not gonna fix the liner/add more liner below the tee unfortunately.
How did you pay them? Technically a working cleanout is required by code in your situation. It never really enforced but you could use it as leverage

From the wall collar it's 22 inches horizontal through the wall and then the 90 degree turn at the tee. I haven't found any cleaning rods that can accommodate that. Can anyone recommend one or another tool that could make that bend?
My sooteater has made the 90 bend going from 6” to 5.5”.

Reactions: Hawkeye1873