Chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
Its gonna be warmer today so I shut the stove down last night. Took a look at the pipe and it looks pretty clean to me. Just a thin layer of blackish brown powder. Nothing shiny. I'm a first year burner and have burned maybe a half of a cord. I'm attaching a picture, do you guys think it's worth cleaning?

Attachments

• Chimney cleaning
    image.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 160
Nothing to worry about ,that I see . Check it around the end of February.

I think it's more important how it looks up near the cap where it cools off more. Can you easily see the cap with binoculars?

I also wouldn't worry about it, but keep an eye on things until you know for sure. That looks like the kind of crud that falls off when you wipe it with your finger, revealing clean metal.

I started burning last year, and kept an eye on my chimney, and cleaned perhaps too often (every 4-6 weeks I think?), but it brought peace of mind. I'm going to check mine this year at the eight week mark, and although I probably don't need to, it helps me sleep at night.:)

Reactions: Seanm
That's the way to go your first few years. You can crud up the chimney real quick with marginal wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.