Chimney Connector Clearance Reduction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochylde

Dec 10, 2012
Greenbrier county, WV
Howdy.

I'm installing a Hitzer 55FA in my living room. I've got a hearth pad built with 3/4" plywood, 4 layers of durock next generation, and some ceramic tile on top. For those curious, my stove measures 26.5" long and 22" wide and I made my pad 60" long and 48" wide.

As the stove and pad are massive, I'm trying to reduce clearances as much as safely possible. I've got a line on some sheet steel for a heat shield behind the stove to protect from the floor to within 1" of the thimble. This will reduce the stove's 28" measurement to combustibles and reduce the single wall stove pipe's clearance of 18". Currently, the vertical portion of my stove pipe sits 9.75" away from the wall. NFPA 211 states that with 24ga sheet metal with 1" of air behind it will reduce clearance vertically to 6" while distance to a ceiling shrinks to 9". I also have seen the helpful diagrams that show how wide your heat shield needs to be for wall/ceiling protection. It shows the width of the shield being wherever an imaginary 18" line drawn from either side of the pipe no longer touches the ceiling.

However, the drawing only shows the end or section view of the pipe. What about the rotated view? I'm using a 6"-to-7" increaser, a very short length of pipe, and a tee. Do I need to figure a similar calculation in for the very nose of the cap on the tee? If I need to figure a length of the heat shield that would include this imaginary 18" line, my heat shield dimensions are something like 31"x34". Does this sound correct? I would prefer to have somewhat of a shorter heat shield but will put up whatever is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.