Chimney Discovery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom Man

Sep 6, 2008
Eastern Ontario
While quoting on the chimney installation for my EKO boiler, the installer took note of my fireplace insert. He said it was the worst fire hazard he had seen in 30 years. As it happens the insert is not inserted in a masonry fireplace but simply in a plywood box. It looks like a fireplace but any dummy would know from the insulated stainless chimney that it wasn't inserted in a fireplace.

I missed it. The building inspector missed it. I had numerous pleasant fires with it in Jan to March last winter. I guess I'm lucky to still have a house.

My question is: Can I surround the insert with anything like brick or blocks or fire retardant materials to create a safe environment or do I have to scrap the insert and buy a woodstove. The chimney itself is good. My hot water boiler will supply our heating needs so this installation would be for coziness in one room and maybe a backup in the event of a boiler outage.

The insert is nice to look at and the room's focal wall has the insert.

Could you please post a pick I would love to know what it looks like.

This may be a bad idea but I will throw it out for public consideration.

Could you layer the plywood box with several layers of cement board - provided there is enough room?

I believe that the only way an insert can be legal is if it is inserted into a masonry fireplace built to the masonry fireplace standards. That's the way my Lopi read. Now building a masonry fireplace for the sole purpose of stuffing an insert into it seems pretty silly and expensive. Replacing your unit with a zero clearance fireplace would be a possibility. I would scrap it and put in a woodstove. You could build it in an alcove so it will not protrude into the living space too much.

I would scrap your building inspector.

If this is an EPA insert, in good condition, I think you'll find an eager buyer for it. Then install a proper freestanding stove and know you're safe.

Thank you for your ideas. I guess the path of least resistance and greatest safety is a stand alone EPA/CSA approved wood stove. Whether the insert being replaced is EPA/CSA approved or not I could not say. I will try to find that out.

I was initially thinking about firebrick and cement board but in the end I want the installation to be compliant with building codes.

Ironically, the insert worked well and was sized just right for the heating space.

I thought the chimney for the boiler was pricey but the discovery of the fire hazard is priceless.

Post a picture. We love guessing about old stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.