Chimney Draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2008
Northern Indiana
So I took out the baffle of my PE Spectrum to do a little housekeeping last night and tried a little experiment. I can take a little pinch of leftover ash and blow it by the flue opening and it easily sucks about 1/2 the ash right up the pipe. Can this be an example of too much draft? It was about 50 outside when I did this and had no fire going so draft should have been pretty low right? I've been fighting what I *THINK* is too much draft but am trying to be sure... I'm gonna try and get a manometer to measure with but was kinda shocked that pipe was sucking hard enough to pull that ash when I didn't even have a fire going.

You have a chimney with stove door open, theres your draft. The warmer air inside the house is going up & out the chimney, pulling the ash with it, thats normal.

Alright so I snagged a manometer and took a reading tonight. Got a medium fire going with 3 smaller splits and let it heat up for an hour or so. It was 50F outside and I was pulling a little over .01" WC. Based on what I'm reading thats high - especially in this warmer weather. I'm at about 28' from stove to cap using doublewall & 103 pipe. What is really p*ssing me off is my temps. The stovetop was around 400 but the flue gas 18" above the stove using a condor probe was 600-650. Everyone else on here that reports their temps almost ALWAYS have a higher stovetop than flue gas. WTF??? I'm sick of seeing all this heat go up the stack. Should I just do a damper? I saw a 6" piece of doublewall that already has a damper online somewhere. It goes right on the stove first then doublewall the rest of the way to the 103. Is that a good location for the damper??? Seems closer to the stove is better I guess.

I think a turn damper would be a good idea....also, flue temps will vary greatly depending on wood species and the particular part of the burn you are in.
A lot of people also don't use probes, so they are reporting a lower flue temp because of outside stovepipe surface temps....usually 35% lower than inside.

with double wall pipe I would also wager to guess closer to the stove the better, with single wall they were always installed higher so more stove pipe would radiate more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.