Chimney Drip Edge Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loilfan

Apr 23, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Hello,

I had an inspection done on my chimney/wood fireplace this year. The inspector pointed out that the bricks at the top of the chimney below the cap is starting to wear away from freezing.

The chimney doesn't have a drip edge. He gave me a quote for $800 to repair but I am looking at cheaper options.

I had two ideas on what to do:
Option 1
Use an angle grinder and a disc suitable to cut concrete to cut a 1/4" deep line on the underside of the cap 2" away from the edge all the way around.

Option 2
Get some mortar and install a small lip 2" away from the edge all the way around.

Option 2 likely works better but would not last very long. Any other ideas or comments?

Attachments

• 20150418_165807.jpg
    20150418_165807.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 217
How about a bead of caulk or mortar patch? This stuff is polyurethane, so get a fresh one...
detail.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-23_11-14-44.jpeg
    upload_2015-4-23_11-14-44.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Cut the groove then repair the damaged mortar. Our forms dont have a drip edge on them so we always cut a groove after we pull them and it have worked well for years

That crown looks like it was cast at a much later date than the chimney was built. Unless that's limeston rather than cement. Do you know it's history? That could be old damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.