Chimney Fire Aftermath?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LoganLofi

Sep 18, 2022
L'anse, MI
My wife and I had a very small chimney fire in our wood stove this morning (no discernable flames from the chimney but smoke inside the house), but in our fear ended up using our class 3-a:40-b:c dry chemical fire extinguisher, as well as a box of baking soda to put out the fire in the stove itself (Vermont Castings). My question is, now what? Do we have to hire the chimney folks to come do a cleaning and inspection?

Last edited:
How was the smoke getting inside the house?

wouldn't hurt, particulaely if it is masonary flue without a liner

How was the smoke getting inside the house?
That's a good question, I'm not sure. We looked in the attic and nothing around the stovepipe was burnt and everything seemed fine in there (no black marks/sign of fire) so maybe something wasn't quite snug in the stove pipe fittings?

I would have it inspected. Roaring sound, smoke and weird smell would do it for me.

Reactions: clancey
You could have had a lil creosote fire in the pipe that did no external damage...I'd still get it checked out though

Why do you have creosote being generated during your burns? With dry wood and proper burning that shouldn't happen.

Probably because their wood was not dry, and even with wood below 20% you will still get some creosote.

Why do you have creosote being generated during your burns? With dry wood and proper burning that shouldn't happen.
Just because you have dry wood and are burning well doesn't mean there won't be any combustible materials in the chimney

Reactions: Wildflush
I haven't had a chimney fire, so I can't say what it sounds like. Closest issue was my wife didn't get the ash door latched. It was a screaming hot fire load. So much so she called the fire dept. Luckily they couldn't figure out what was wrong, and did nothing. Still have the fire guys glove print on the stove pipe.
I guess a chimney fire would create a real big draft. So did the house fill with smoke when you set off the fire extinguisher?

It is always a good measure to have a stove and chimney system thoroughly inspected after a chimney fire. There could be issues that you cannot easily see and issues that may have led to the incident that should be addressed. I wouldn't use the stove until it has been inspected.

It is always a good measure to have a stove and chimney system thoroughly inspected after a chimney fire. There could be issues that you cannot easily see and issues that may have led to the incident that should be addressed. I wouldn't use the stove until it has been inspected.
Absolutely correct

And figure out why the creosote is being generated. This could be due to heat losses in the flue system or improper operation of the stove or both.

With a relatively small length of of single / double wall black pipe and then insulated class A chimney the rest of the way, it is very difficult to generate creosote if you have dry wood and burn correctly. In 25+ years of burning with several stoves with this setup, I have never even seen anything close to creosote in my chimney, it's basically very light accumulation of black soot.

First of all you have a VC stove, my VC and a lot of other people's will back flash and puff smoke in the house when the air is turned down and the cat is hot.
If you had a chimney fire you most likely would remember the sound for the rest of your life. It's like you're house is on top of the subway and there's a distinct roar of the fire in the chimney..
No matter what you need a chimney inspection and cleaning.

First of all you have a VC stove, my VC and a lot of other people's will back flash and puff smoke in the house when the air is turned down and the cat is hot.
If you had a chimney fire you most likely would remember the sound for the rest of your life. It's like you're house is on top of the subway and there's a distinct roar of the fire in the chimney..
The vast majority of chimney fires don't have that sound at all. Most of the time people have no clue that they had one unless they are outside to see the heavy smoke and sparks or glow

I was wondering what model VC stove this is. Some do not have a cat. If the NC variety is run too cool, without the afterburner kicking in, it can be pretty dirty. If it is a cat model, could the catalyst be exhausted?

Last edited:
If it is a cat model, could the catalyst be exhausted?
So if exhaust parts are exhausted, is that a bad thing, or a good thing?!
Asking for a friend... ;)

So if exhaust parts are exhausted, is that a bad thing, or a good thing?!
Asking for a friend... ;)
Depends if you are asking about stoves or people. :p