Chimney Fire and Eating Crow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy and wood heat is king. F propane. It has only been a few hours but everyone is finding peace again with the stove running good and hot. So far I have noticed that this double wall does draft better. With a straight shot of single wall it drafted good but this is definitely better. Got the Condar flue guard temp gauge installed at 19” (says to install a little higher than 18” above stove). Those are reading out about 700* and stove top on one of the four corners is reading about 450* with another magnetic temp gauge and 600* stove top dead center. Jotul says to put a temp gauge on one of the four corners. By doing that I don’t typically see anything over 500* without going over 1000* on the flue temp so I figure:

700* Flue
450* Stove Top Corner
600* Stove Top Center

are decent temps right? Just following manufacture directions.

Reactions: Smaug
700º flue is hot. Close down the air more and try for equilibrium between the flue and stove top temp. More like 600º STT and 5-600º flue temp.

Ive got it running more consistent now. 600* top of stove in the center and about 600* flue temp. Jotul says to take the temp from any corner of the stove not the center. Id have a tough time getting any corner over 450-500 without flue temps being super high. Like 800-1000*

Our F400 had no problem reaching 600+ in the corners. Turning down the air to encourage robust secondary combustion will raise the stovetop temp while reducing the flue temp.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Check your wood. If its a bit wet you will have some issues getting the stove as hot as you want.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It seems like I have no issue with getting the flue hot with marginal wood, but firebox temps always suffer.