Chimney Fire Supression

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ray for the sanity check. Guess it was kind of a silly question.
YW and it was a good question because if you think about it the only difference is where you take in your air supply nothing else changes. I hope I never need my Chimfex! My chimney liner had to be knocked out due to a chimney fire cracking my chimney tile. Now I have an insulated flex S/S liner and replaced the old stove and this year I had the chimney swept and I am burning well now..

Ray

O.K. guys,, Rutland has these chimney fire extinguisher sticks on sale right now for $8.00 each, just ordered 4 of them , delivered by UPS. Pay by credit card. I do not know how much longer these will be on sale, They are much much higher in the stove shops than $8.00.. You have to go to Rutland web. site and get their phone number to order over the phone, at least that is what I did.. B safe guys...

Rasp21 I don't see any prices at the site but is a great deal! How bad was the shipping?

Ray

raybonz,,, It came to $32.00 for 4 tubes, shipping and handling was $14.00 for a total of $46.00.. I didn't find these listed for sale on their web. site, so I just called their service number, the lady told me that they were on sale for $8.00 each.. Like I said, I do not know how long these will be offered at that price,, I just know that even with shipping, that is still cheaper than at the stove store.. Keep these on hand, you never know when you may need one..

raybonz,,, It came to $32.00 for 4 tubes, shipping and handling was $14.00 for a total of $46.00.. I didn't find these listed for sale on their web. site, so I just called their service number, the lady told me that they were on sale for $8.00 each.. Like I said, I do not know how long these will be offered at that price,, I just know that even with shipping, that is still cheaper than at the stove store.. Keep these on hand, you never know when you may need one..
I agree that is a great price and unusual that a company undersells their retailers. Basically you paid $11.50 each which is 1/2 the price of most anywhere. I already have one so I am good and hopefully I'll never need to use it..

Ray

Thanks for the heads-up on ordering from Rutland, as of today (12/10) they are still selling them for $8.00/each plus shipping (dependent upon location), so 2 are on the way.
I stumbled onto the product a year ago or so at a Menard's in Ohio (no longer listed on their site) and bought one "as a safety precaution"...
A few months later I made the mistake (among others, I suppose) of using too many small twigs and stuff from outside at once and the flames reached much higher than usual, and then I heard and felt a rumble like thunder, but it wasn't... I ran outside briefly to see a glow and sparks from the chimney, ran back in and lit and threw in the Chimfex flair and closed the glass doors and called 911 (in some order). Actually a fire house is only 1 block away, but by the time they got here the roar had already subsided and little was coming out of the chimney. They put a little water on the fire in the grate and went up the floors along the chimney route with an infrared detector to see if there were any hot spots (none).
I saw on one web site for firefighters and such that they had confidence in the product, though they say they prefer plastic bags filled with dry fire retardant that they get by the drum as firefighters ("No, never use water unless you want to cause structural damage by the rapid temperature shock").
As far as how they work, some combination of using up the oxygen and altering the creosote from the flammable greasy stuff to a not-very flammable powder- I couldn't figure out anything more exact from what I could find on the web. I did find some nice study results on decrease in flue temps, etc.
I have no idea (and could find no info with a little searching) on how the differing products compare.

BTW, I have a traditional fire place in a 100+ year old house with glass doors and a "heat grate" (hollow steel tubes as a grate with fan blown air) to get more efficiency than the typical fire place. I once made a rough design of a curved chimney throat out of aluminum as in a "Rumford" fire place and did find much better flow of smoke up the chimney instead of into the room...if I had the skill, materials, and knowledge how to retrofit it with with something more permanent I would love too, so if anyone has done this I would be quite greatful to hear about it. The cost of doing a rebuild or a good insert is a bit much, considering all of the other things "this old house" needs.

Thanks for the heads-up on ordering from Rutland, as of today (12/10) they are still selling them for $8.00/each plus shipping (dependent upon location), so 2 are on the way.
I stumbled onto the product a year ago or so at a Menard's in Ohio (no longer listed on their site) and bought one "as a safety precaution"...
A few months later I made the mistake (among others, I suppose) of using too many small twigs and stuff from outside at once and the flames reached much higher than usual, and then I heard and felt a rumble like thunder, but it wasn't... I ran outside briefly to see a glow and sparks from the chimney, ran back in and lit and threw in the Chimfex flair and closed the glass doors and called 911 (in some order). Actually a fire house is only 1 block away, but by the time they got here the roar had already subsided and little was coming out of the chimney. They put a little water on the fire in the grate and went up the floors along the chimney route with an infrared detector to see if there were any hot spots (none).
I saw on one web site for firefighters and such that they had confidence in the product, though they say they prefer plastic bags filled with dry fire retardant that they get by the drum as firefighters ("No, never use water unless you want to cause structural damage by the rapid temperature shock").
As far as how they work, some combination of using up the oxygen and altering the creosote from the flammable greasy stuff to a not-very flammable powder- I couldn't figure out anything more exact from what I could find on the web. I did find some nice study results on decrease in flue temps, etc.
I have no idea (and could find no info with a little searching) on how the differing products compare.

BTW, I have a traditional fire place in a 100+ year old house with glass doors and a "heat grate" (hollow steel tubes as a grate with fan blown air) to get more efficiency than the typical fire place. I once made a rough design of a curved chimney throat out of aluminum as in a "Rumford" fire place and did find much better flow of smoke up the chimney instead of into the room...if I had the skill, materials, and knowledge how to retrofit it with with something more permanent I would love too, so if anyone has done this I would be quite greatful to hear about it. The cost of doing a rebuild or a good insert is a bit much, considering all of the other things "this old house" needs.
Good to hear the Chimfex worked so well! As for installing a stove or insert/liner how many projects are you doing that will pay for themselves over a few years or even less if you get free wood? A new stove can also add to the overall appearance if done right..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.