Chimney Fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grizzleopold

Apr 9, 2023
Catskills, New York
Woodstoving novice here,
Does any of this look bad?
Chimney Fire?
Chimney Fire? Chimney Fire? Chimney Fire?

Not bad buildup but it looks like you have air leaking in at every joint in the pipe. And even the chimney joint has weird buildup on it

Not bad buildup but it looks like you have air leaking in at every joint in the pipe. And even the chimney joint has weird buildup on it
It’s a brand new install (2 months or so), double walled. No smoke is leaking out of any joints that I have noticed. Is this something I should bring up to the installer?

It’s a brand new install (2 months or so), double walled. No smoke is leaking out of any joints that I have noticed. Is this something I should bring up to the installer?
No smoke typically won't leak out but the ring of creosote at each joint shows that air is leaking in and cooling the smoke

@bholler I have a similar situation. What is a good way to seal up the stove pipe joints from air ingress? Assuming all tape is out due to temperature. And silicones would make disassembly problematic.

@bholler I have a similar situation. What is a good way to seal up the stove pipe joints from air ingress? Assuming all tape is out due to temperature. And silicones would make disassembly problematic.
Better quality pipe

I'm using stove pipe from ACE hardware. Is there a brand you can suggest?