Chimney flashing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
I know there has been lots of discussion about this but just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right .I've ordered the excell flashing for my metal roof as im eliminating the rubber boot.im nowhere near the peak so I can't slip the flashing under the peak.how does the flashing slip under on the top side? does the flashing on the bottom have to be notched for the ribs on the roof.also do I have to remove chimney?.my rubber boot does not leak but after reading lots on this forum I want the metal flashing.also anyone know if there is a video on this.

142431-5c06a5a3d6675dfd107d6db0b6fd5d59.jpg

I know there has been lots of discussion about this but just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right .I've ordered the excell flashing for my metal roof as im eliminating the rubber boot.im nowhere near the peak so I can't slip the flashing under the peak.how does the flashing slip under on the top side? does the flashing on the bottom have to be notched for the ribs on the roof.also do I have to remove chimney?.my rubber boot does not leak but after reading lots on this forum I want the metal flashing.also anyone know if there is a video on this.

View attachment 326193
You cut a slit the width of the flashing for the top to slip into.
Yes it needs notched.
Yes the chimney will need to be pulled to the roofline

Sorry for my ignorance,do I have to put a slit in the roof?

When I installed mine, I cut the piece of roofing in half. The bottom part went under the bottom of the flashing. The top part went below the metal roofing.

The easiest and most fool proof way to do it if you have access to matching roofing material is to set the flashing and lay a new piece over the top of that flashing. But it can absolutely be done without that very well it just takes more work and some precision cutting

Well I'm not sure what kind of mess is up there.the guy that installed the metal roof couldn't even line the panels up by the trough and also looks like it's going to be a huge job cleaning up all the silicone around the rubber boot.i may see if I can hire someone to do this which won't be easy as im in the boonies.also I'm 70 and do not really feel like spending my time up on a metal roof.thanks for the replies.

Reactions: bholler
The easiest and most fool proof way to do it if you have access to matching roofing material is to set the flashing and lay a new piece over the top of that flashing. But it can absolutely be done without that very well it just takes more work and i
Found some leftover roofing.that should save me from removing the chimney.

I do not have a section long enough but it should not matter if I overlap sections should it?

The overlap has to be underneath the piece going to the ridgeline, otherwise water will just flow underneath

The overlap has to be underneath the piece going to the ridgeline, otherwise water will just flow underneath
Absolutely, with butyl tape as well

Perfect,thanks Begreen,I appreciate that.