Chimney/flue question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Our ancient and decrepit brick chimney that vents the gas boiler and domestic hot water is in desperate need of repair above the roofline.

It sticks up through an inside corner of the house, about 10', and causes roof problems, as well.

I'm considering taking all the bricks down to just below the roofline, dropping a liner in, and replacing the section of the brick chimney with a braced stainless steel pipe. Once that's done, we can patch the roof an have a much smaller obstacle for the water draining down the valley.

For a gas boiler and dhw stack, what pipe (replacing the removed brick above roof line), and liner should I be looking at?

Any Class A Chimney pipe will meet your needs, but you have to make sure there is an adapter plate offered by the chimney manufacturer.
The adapter plate mounts to the top of the masonry structure & allows you to extend the flue with the Class A Pipe.
For the liner, you will have to use what is specified (or an equal) by the manufacturer of the boiler, but generally speaking,
it'll be a 3" or 4" flexible aluminum pipe that will run from the appliance to the top of the chimney.
You will need to use a cap that is designed to connect to the liner & that is also designed to fit your Class A.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Any Class A Chimney pipe will meet your needs, but you have to make sure there is an adapter plate offered by the chimney manufacturer.
The adapter plate mounts to the top of the masonry structure & allows you to extend the flue with the Class A Pipe.
For the liner, you will have to use what is specified (or an equal) by the manufacturer of the boiler, but generally speaking,
it'll be a 3" or 4" flexible aluminum pipe that will run from the appliance to the top of the chimney.
You will need to use a cap that is designed to connect to the liner & that is also designed to fit your Class A.
Thank you, Daksy. I was hoping to hear that something cheaper than class a would be an option above the roofline, as there is no real possibility of a creosote buildup and chimney fire. But, that's why I asked! Appreciate your expertise.