Chimney for an Englander 30NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulski

Sep 4, 2008
Eatern Long Island
I'm installing my new stove in a corner in my family room and am having a problem with the chimney. Actually, the problem is my lovely bride, but we'll say it's the chimney. She hates the sight of a chimney pipe, black or otherwise. I asked her about cerami-coated pipe and she said no. Without getting into why, we'll leave it at "I don't want to see the F***ing pipe!"
So, my question is as follows: since the install is in a corner, my rear offset is deeper, if I build a dummy wall, will it be safe to run double wall insulated pipe (class A) through this chase?
The wall will be fireproof behind the stove where the pipe will enter the thimble. All necessary setbacks will be observed.

New wife would solve the problem...jak sie masz? lol

I would not walk off that battle field ...nope, nope. I am not good at pretending - like pretending that there is no pipe going from the stove to the roof. Besides, I like the look of the pipe - except for some of the odd ball configurations - but straight up is Kool and the Gang.

I think that will work but you may lose some inches in room space to keep clearances...as mentioned...

CTwoodburner said:
I would not walk off that battle field ...nope, nope. I am not good at pretending - like pretending that there is no pipe going from the stove to the roof. Besides, I like the look of the pipe - except for some of the odd ball configurations - but straight up is Kool and the Gang.

I think that will work but you may lose some inches in room space to keep clearances...as mentioned...

Yes, but Paulski can be right . . .or he can be happy.

Happiness became less important a while back... Peace and harmony is what I'm hoping for.
I think the stove will be put where I thought it should go in the first place though. No need for the creative solutions. I like the look of the pipe as well. Heats the room up too.

paulski said:
So, my question is as follows: since the install is in a corner, my rear offset is deeper, if I build a dummy wall, will it be safe to run double wall insulated pipe (class A) through this chase?
The wall will be fireproof behind the stove where the pipe will enter the thimble. All necessary setbacks will be observed.

most class A pipe will require a T in back of the stove to go vertical. the T would be behind the wall, I would highly recomend installing a small door so you can access the T for cleaning. Most will have a cap on the bottom of the T that you can remove to clean the pipe. Would also recommend keeping the horizontal run as short as possible. Opinion only . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.