Chimney height / drafting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffee

Nov 1, 2007
Western Ma
I'm (newbie) still in the planning stage of my Jotul 118 cb and prefab chimney installation, and I want to ask knowledgeable folks here if you think I'm ok with my plan. I've read as much as I can find here about drafting and chimney height, and I'm a bit concerned about overdrafting, as I'd prefer not to have to install some sort of chimney damper (and worse yet learn how to use it ....).

Here's my situation:
900 or 1000 sq. foot log house, 1 1/2 stories, open layout, not very tight and not insulated on walls (only on roof).
Chimney will go straight up.
Total planned height of chimney (measured from top of stove / bottom of stovepipe to top of chimney) would be 19' 4" give or take a few inches.
About 10 1/2 feet of the chimney would be above roofline (necessary because it's not coming up at the peak of the roof, and the roof is steep 45 degree)
I get a good breeze often from the North, the same side of the roof that the chimney is on (the gable sides of the house are east and west), which if I understand correctly means possibly more draft too.

Maybe I'm being overly concerned but I'd just like to plan as best I can. Thanks again for any thoughts.

You may be fine. I think most suggest pipe dampers if your over 30ft. You should have good draft at 20'. Even if you find your draft to be excessive, a pipe damper is no big deal to install or operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.