Chimney height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ovationcs257

Oct 26, 2022
Rochester NY
I'm looking to put a wood-burning insert into an existing masonry fireplace. Most of the inserts have a 15' minimum chimney height. I'm wondering how this is measured. Is it from the damper to the top of the clay liner? I have a 3' stainless steel extension, can I include this? im assuming I don't include the firebox.

Is the concern that there will not be enough draw? If so should I be looking at the smooth wall liners?

Thank you
Brian

PXL_20221028_204834932.jpg

Many Canadian-made stoves have a 12 or 13' flue requirement. Look at Regency, Pacific Energy, and SBI (Drolet, Osburn) inserts. The extension may still be needed if there was a draft issue due to prevailing winds and the chimney location.

Reactions: Ovationcs257
And yes if the extension was built properly, you can count it. Measured from the flue collar of the insert.

I'm looking to put a wood-burning insert into an existing masonry fireplace. Most of the inserts have a 15' minimum chimney height. I'm wondering how this is measured. Is it from the damper to the top of the clay liner? I have a 3' stainless steel extension, can I include this? im assuming I don't include the firebox.

Is the concern that there will not be enough draw? If so should I be looking at the smooth wall liners?

Thank you
Brian

View attachment 302579
Recommendations is not to use smooth wall. Medium or heavy liners are preferred. That said Drolet kits ships with light weight liners. They are just don’t have the longevity of the heavier liners.

Recommendations is not to use smooth wall. Medium or heavy liners are preferred. That said Drolet kits ships with light weight liners. They are just don’t have the longevity of the heavier liners.
Thank you, I see this recommendation a lot on here to use a medium or heavy liner. Are these available to buy online. Every liner I see is .005 or .006. Rockford chimney supply has a .013 but is smooth wall which is not recommended correct?

Thank you, I see this recommendation a lot on here to use a medium or heavy liner. Are these available to buy online. Every liner I see is .005 or .006. Rockford chimney supply has a .013 but is smooth wall which is not recommended correct?
Another recent thread (last day or two ) I think had a link to some medium weight. Forever flex)