Chimney Inspection - Before Insert Installation - Repair WK 4K ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bparks1

Dec 20, 2021
Louisville,KY
Working towards installing a Kuma Cascade insert this summer. Had my masonry 70 year old chimney inspected by a local company. Using a camera. They want to perform a PCR cleaning ( Poultice Creosote Remover ) For 1500.00 dollars. They Also want to replace the very top 13x13 flue tile and chimney wash/expansion joint along with tuck pointing some of the brick on the chimney! total cost a little over 4K Including the PCR cleaning.

The chimney tuck pointing doesn’t look that bad to me, not perfect but not bad, it’s painted as well. The top flue looks good to me, I had a new crown and Lock Top damper installed about two years ago it looked ok then as well. The sweep who did the work two years ago said the flue was clean ( he retired ) Or I would call him back.

I know the chimney has to be clean before insert installation, and I do see some shiny creosote near the top of my flue and some in the smoke chamber. My thought is to use Cre-away for a few weeks and then clean the chimney using a Sooteater and then wire brush if necessary. I could repeat this process several times if necessary and still be far below the 1500 cleaning estimate. Is attempting to clean myself a waste of time? Should I just pay the 1500 and be done? The rest of the work they want to do Is not time sensitive in relation to my insert installation As far as I Am concerned. My home is a ranch 5/12 pitch roof with the fire place on the very outside end of the home About 20 feet from the drive to top of chimney, so it’s Not that hard to reach.

Input appreciated. Thank you.

Without pics of inside and outside of chimney, it would be hard for anyone to tell you what the chimney needs. Can you put up some pics?

Without pics of inside and outside of chimney, it would be hard for anyone to tell you what the chimney needs. Can you put up some pics?
I tried to download or copy the pics, not luck. Yet.
I will try to attach some pics. Having trouble down loading from the inspection report. If I have to I will use my iPhone and take a few of the exterior of chimney and top of flue. I think I am going to try cleaning the flue see how it goes, it’s almost a straight shot top to bottom and only about 18 feet so I can see pretty good using a bright light. Thank you.

Finally was able to load inspection report. Not sure if I should just pay the 4K for repairs before the insert install. I used to work in construction building houses and apartments & rental homes, so very DYI capable and have arsenal of tools, including sweep tools and commercial grade type soot eater. Any input appreciated. I will be installing the insert along with insulated 6 inch liner.

Attachments

• report.pdf.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 141
It looks like a pretty thorough report. The crown work was not great and lacked expansion space. Some of the work can be deferred with a liner and insert, but the creosote needs to be taken care of before an insulated liner can be installed.

It looks like a pretty thorough report. The crown work was not great and lacked expansion space. Some of the work can be deferred with a liner and insert, but the creosote needs to be taken care of before an insulated liner can be installed.
Thank you for the input. All of the repair work plus the cost of insert and liner pushes my cost to almost 10K. If I can successfully clean the chimney and smoke chamber that would save 1500 that I could use for crown and other repairs, possibly rework the crown myself. I appreciate all the great info in thIs forum.