Chimney Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don H

Feeling the Heat
Aug 19, 2015
Maryland
I'd like an opinion on installing a chimney for a Papa.

Stove will go in the first floor of a 2 story house in a 1 story side addition. The flue will exit through the first floor roof or maybe the side wall about 10' from the second floor wall. Chimney pipe is SS triple wall, 6".

How high does the chimney need to go?

My thoughts are it should extend at least 2' above the lowest 2nd floor roofline (gutter).

Your thoughts?

I'd like an opinion on installing a chimney for a Papa.

Stove will go in the first floor of a 2 story house in a 1 story side addition. The flue will exit through the first floor roof or maybe the side wall about 10' from the second floor wall. Chimney pipe is SS triple wall, 6".

How high does the chimney need to go?

My thoughts are it should extend at least 2' above the lowest 2nd floor roofline (gutter).

Your thoughts?
It needs to be a minimum 2 feet above anything within 10'. But if it is just a little over 10' I would run up past the gutter anyway.

And don't use triple wall. Use insulated double wall it is a far superior product

Yes, that was my thought and I believe that is Code here (2' and 10'). This is not for me but was asking for a friend.
He picked up triple wall stainless 6" for half price from Home Depot.
Thanks!

Yes, that was my thought and I believe that is Code here (2' and 10'). This is not for me but was asking for a friend.
He picked up triple wall stainless 6" for half price from Home Depot.
Thanks!
I personally still wouldn't get triple wall even at half price

I bought 20ft of the Supervent brand of double wall insulated chimney at Lowe's 7 years ago. Been real happy with it so far. I vented it through my first story wall on my 2-story house.

I've read that triple wall chimneys aren't the best choice in certain situations, but maybe it will work if the chimney isn't so long that the flue gases cool too much before they exit the chimney. But bholler knows better than I do.

Here is one paragraph from a book that explains how a triple wall chimneys works...
IMG_20190206_230615.jpg

That paragraph is not referring to the triple wall found today. That was an air cooled chimney which was not recommended by Fisher.
The triple wall from Dura-Vent has a thin insulation blanket around the innermost flue pipe. It doesn't stay as hot inside as the "pack" type chimney which is double wall. The double wall Dura-Vent product is called DuraTech.

Reactions: Todd67
That paragraph is not referring to the triple wall found today. That was an air cooled chimney which was not recommended by Fisher.
The triple wall from Dura-Vent has a thin insulation blanket around the innermost flue pipe. It doesn't stay as hot inside as the "pack" type chimney which is double wall. The double wall Dura-Vent product is called DuraTech.

Thanks for the clarification between the older triple wall and the newer triple wall chimneys!