CHIMNEY LEAK NIGHTMARE...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stephenlgraves

Dec 30, 2019
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Need some help, please. We noticed our chimney was leaking into the attic in our1930s Midwestern house, so when we had a new roof put on we insisted on replacing every scrap of flashing. Looks like they did a good job, but the chimney still leaked. So we had a mason come out, who said he was 99% sure it was the old brick & mortar (which had been repaired several times, etc., from the looks of it). The options were stucco or new brick, so we chose the latter for aesthetic reasons and he completely rebuilt the chimney from below the roof line, then re-did the flashing. I should add that this mason came highly recommended and is recognized as the best in the area. He finished a few days ago and last night it rained an inch, and guess what? The chimney STILL leaks! It's coming in along the front side, same as before the new chimney, new roof, flashing, etc.

So my question, friends, is this: Does this mean it has to be the vents overhead? What else can it be? This is like a surreal nightmare, honestly. Everything is new except the caps, which are only about two years old. We're completely baffled, and a little disheartened. With all this work we obviously haven't fixed/found the culprit and I'm running out of options. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Steve G

What do you mean by 'front side'? And 'vents overhead'?

Might be hard to judge without some pics.
Thanks for your response, really appreciate it. By front side I just mean street side, and vent covers just means caps - sorry. I will attach a photo from the attic of the front/street right corner where it's leaking worst. Most of it looks like it's coming from that seam right below the concrete but it also seems to be dribbling in from other lone spots (see bottom left) as well as above that band of concrete. Plus it's leaking all along that side, (to the left of this photo) especially at the opposite corner. Flashing and new brick chimney have made no difference!

Attachments

• LEAK 12 30.jpg
    LEAK 12 30.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 437
I don't think I will be able to help much more. I'm no chimney builder or expert, and that looks different than any chimneys I have seen. With the stepped bricks & concrete at the roof line. That's the new one?

Maybe get the guy back out there while the leak is visible?

I feel your pain and have learned first hand that there are many ways a chimney can leak water into the house.

Can you post some wider view pictures of the outside structure above the roofline and also inside the attic?
What is that concrete portion just before the chimney enters the roof?

As Fire_man said, some pic's of the outside of the chimney would help a lot along with the roof area above and around the chimney.

I had my first leak around my chimney after 30 years in this house last year and it was fairly minor, but still a pain. It was a tiny little crack where the flashing meet the brick ... probably always there, but with getting pounding rains like we've never experienced before here in WI, we had more water on the roof than ever before.

I feel your pain and have learned first hand that there are many ways a chimney can leak water into the house.

Can you post some wider view pictures of the outside structure above the roofline and also inside the attic?
I will post more pics absolutely. Thank you everyone for chiming in with your collective expertise. Gotta go to Indy to fetch my wife but will post some pics tomorrow if it's not too icey to get up there... Least if it's frozen it will leak more slowly!

Reactions: Woody Stover
I will post more pics absolutely. Thank you everyone for chiming in with your collective expertise. Gotta go to Indy to fetch my wife but will post some pics tomorrow if it's not too icey to get up there... Least if it's frozen it will leak more slowly!

Oh yes, be careful! A leaking chimney is one thing, a broken leg is another! Can you get decent shots from the ground by zooming in? Or maybe get up on a secure ladder and shoot from there?

I think you can tell I've got some experience in this area! ;lol

Oh yes, be careful! A leaking chimney is one thing, a broken leg is another! Can you get decent shots from the ground by zooming in? Or maybe get up on a secure ladder and shoot from there?

I think you can tell I've got some experience in this area! ;lol
Will do thanks for your concern. I know from experience that chimney’s are probably easier to fix than body parts. Although this particular one is beginning to make me wonder...

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
I would have to agree this qualifes as a Chimney leak nitemare. It's an understatement to say you have done what you could to resolve this problem.

These were my sources of leaks and every one of them caused water in the house:

Poor flashing
Porous brick
Hairline crack in crown

Every time I repaired one of these defects the problem got better but not until I put a stainless steel cover over the crown was it completely dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I would have to agree this qualifes as a Chimney leak nitemare. It's an understatement to say you have done what you could to resolve this problem.

Poor flashing
Porous brick
Hairline crack in crown

Every time I repaired one of these defects the problem got better but not until I put a stainless steel cover over the crown was it completely dry.
Sounds like my nightmare 20 years ago, until I fixed all three the leaking didnt stop.

I've never seen cement block laid on top of brick like that for a chimney repair. But with that said I'm no mason either but those joints don't scream quality brick/block laying to me. That aside I think from the lone picture the leak looks like it's around the flashing. Or a crack in the block.

Poor flashing
Porous brick
Hairline crack in crown

Interesting, thank you for the input. The cap is brand new and freshly sealed, but I am open to all ideas so yours definitely helps!

More pics... From inside the attic (you can see chimney is offset in kind of a strange fashion) and outside of the old brick with new flashing as well as new brick from a wider angle. Hopefully these help!

C1.jpg C2.jpg C3.jpg C4.JPGC5.JPG C6.jpg

It doesn't look like a kerf was cut into the brick, flashing inserted into the kerf, then caulked and sealed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Kerf ,reglet. :)

Reactions: Sawset
Yes, there's no counter-flashing.

Is it? What exactly is wrong with it, so I can have some ammo against the folks who charged me for it?
First you must have step flashing for each shingle course, then counter flashing over that and tucked into a mortar joint. That is continuous flashing like they did years ago with skylights and they always leaked.