CHIMNEY LEAK NIGHTMARE...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Agree with comments above... and the brickwork above roofline sure does not look like new... looks to have been patched a few times

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Soooo, what was the verdict??
Hey there! No verdict as of yet. My chimney/masonry guy went over it with a fine tooth comb, so to speak, sealing every conceivable leak on the brand new chimney, but it still leaked same as before. So naturally he says it has to be the flashing, which he is kicking himself for not replacing. But since we're now in the dead of winter, he had to tarp the new chimney (leaving holes for the dryer vent & fireplaces) and is waiting for a non-icey weather window to pull the flashing off and see what's going on.

The roofing contractor who hired a guy to flash the chimney insists that it cannot possibly be the flashing, of course. But if it's not the brand new chimney leaking, then what else could it be BUT the flashing? I'm no expert, but it seems like it has to be one or the other, right? Anyway, hopefully will know more soon...

Thanks, Steve G.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Sounds like you're getting it figured out. I've had my roof re-done three times (three different houses), my chimney here rebuilt, and hired roofing contractors at the old church where I used to be building manager. Basic advice to all: a lot of professional contractors do not do their job as though keeping your building dry is the main goal. Try to hire the people who actually do this, and also do the job well in other respects. I have seen some bad work on the church by a well known company that is used all over town. I guess they thought no one would ever go up to inspect it -- exactly this kind of stuff, how details of flashing are handled.

We had very small leaks in our living room near the chimney, in our 1959 ranch with a limestone fireplace and limestone chimney. Trickles in certain kinds of rains. But I knew from the ceiling that someone at some time had major water damage there. So I got some bids, asked about whether to tuckpoint the chimney outside or rebuild it. A highly recommended guy said rebuild it. So we forked over the money, bunches. When they were finally done, it leaked a little more than before, different place. So I went up, found the little gaps they'd left in the mortar, and filled those myself. Since then I inspect my chimney every year myself. They do move a bit, so there's usually a little 1/16 gap in the mortar here and there. And I clean off any algae on the north side.

Since I stopped leaving it up to pros, my living room is dry as a bone. The basic difference is I care -- whether I'm working for someone else (other skills) or myself. And they don't care enough to do it right the first time, keep you dry. The one who is going to keep my buildings dry is apparently me.

Opposite experience on my last roofing job, four years ago, this house. I was very careful in hiring, paid to have him address not just new shingles but every problem that had arose since 1959, excellent job flashing that rebuilt chimney, and we are dry everywhere. And I inspect that once a year.

I wish all of you dry houses with no fuss. And don't ever be a building manager for a historic landmark stone church. Roofing and flashing!!!#$%&!!

I have felt the pain as well. Leaky crown, bad mortar joints, bad flashing, pourous chimney brick.
Finally fixed them all one after the other and am finally dry!

Hey there! No verdict as of yet. My chimney/masonry guy went over it with a fine tooth comb, so to speak, sealing every conceivable leak on the brand new chimney, but it still leaked same as before. So naturally he says it has to be the flashing, which he is kicking himself for not replacing. But since we're now in the dead of winter, he had to tarp the new chimney (leaving holes for the dryer vent & fireplaces) and is waiting for a non-icey weather window to pull the flashing off and see what's going on.

The roofing contractor who hired a guy to flash the chimney insists that it cannot possibly be the flashing, of course. But if it's not the brand new chimney leaking, then what else could it be BUT the flashing? I'm no expert, but it seems like it has to be one or the other, right? Anyway, hopefully will know more soon...

Thanks, Steve G.
Currently in the same boat. Roof guy says no way it’s the flashing, chimney looks to be in decent shape. Scheduling mason to come out and look at the chimney. Plan to have him tuck point, seal the crown and the brick, and go from there. Probably doesn’t hurt to have that done anyway.

When my leaked one guy said it was the flashing, he fixed it, still leaked, another guy said you need a cap, still leaked, third guy said to coat the stone and cap in siloxon and that stopped the leak, now I coat every 2-3 years and no problems.

Thanks, Steve G.
Make your chimney guy come back and replace the flashing properly as he should have with the rebuild. It is not properly done and should have been fixed then

When my leaked one guy said it was the flashing, he fixed it, still leaked, another guy said you need a cap, still leaked, third guy said to coat the stone and cap in siloxon and that stopped the leak, now I coat every 2-3 years and no problems.
Any problems with the siloxon staining ur roof shingles?

I use water base siloxane and it does not stain the shingles. The petro-base stuff will damage them.

If I scrub down the chimney with a light soapy solution and rinse it down well (and let dry for many hot days), the siloxane absorbs better and lasts longer between recoats.

Last edited:
Any problems with the siloxon staining ur roof shingles?
No, it's a clear liquid, I forgot to do it a couple of years and it leaked again, I coated last year and the leaking stopped.

No, it's a clear liquid, I forgot to do it a couple of years and it leaked again, I coated last year and the leaking stopped.
It leaves streaks on shingles and a haze on metal.

Got a quote today from a very reputable company. Redoing the crown, grinding out old mortar to the roofline, filling with new, and cleaning and spraying entire chimney with soloxane. $2000. Seems fair for the amount of labor

Got a quote today from a very reputable company. Redoing the crown, grinding out old mortar to the roofline, filling with new, and cleaning and spraying entire chimney with soloxane. $2000. Seems fair for the amount of labor
I wouldn't recommend sealing the masonry unless your masonry units are abnormally pourous. It should not be needed

How would you tell if they were abormally pourous?

How would you tell if they were abormally pourous?
If they soak up allot of water lol. There are tests but generally someone who works in masonry for a while can tell.

Ha ha :).
Well in my case I kept getting water dripping out from the the brick above the fireplace. It was Bone dry from the ceiling to about a foot above the fireplace. A roofer told me it was pourous brick after he ruled out the flashing. The siloxane cured it.

Ha ha :).
Well in my case I kept getting water dripping out from the the brick above the fireplace. It was Bone dry from the ceiling to about a foot above the fireplace. A roofer told me it was pourous brick after he ruled out the flashing. The siloxane cured it.
And that does happen we use it when appropriate. But it is usually just something some chimney guys add on to increase profits.

How long have you owned the house, and why is some of the brick painted?