Chimney length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth96

Burning Hunk
Feb 8, 2014
SW Ohio
I'm looking at getting a BK Princess. My current chimney is a frame chimney chase with 8" pipe running to a factory ZC fireplace that I will rip out and turn into an alcove. So about 40" of pipe will be inside the living space, rest in the old frame chimney chase.

Total height of current chimney is ~15 feet (top of ZC fireplace to top of chimney cap). Is that enough chimney length for a BK princess (with 6" Duratech due to 103HT requirement)?

Thanks for the help!

I don't know if this helps.. Recommended flue draft.
.05” water column (on high burn)
.02 -.03 in. water column (on medium fi re)

It will probably be ok with a straight-up install. If not, add a couple feet. Use double-wall connector for best results.

Last edited:
Thanks.. Until I rip out the ZC and get the alcove built I won't know for sure how the existing flue hole will line up with the outlet on the stove when in place with proper clearances. However, I'm thinking I'm going to need an offset of 3-4 inches. I found an offset chart at http://www.northlineexpress.com/elbow-offset-charts.html and it says I could use 2-15 degree bends with 9" pipe between to get 4". What is that "Rise Inches 24 1/8" value for? If I do the offset as close to the top of the alcove as possible should this be ok?

Here is the offset chart for DuraVent DVL pipe. Click to enlarge.

Capture.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.