Chimney Liner and Additional Repairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lv2trav

Jan 20, 2021
New Hampshire
Hi All,

I received a quote today to do some work, but I am unsure if parts of the quote is necessary. I will list the line items:

1. $750 for scaffolding
2. $938 to remove clay tile flue
3. $2,797 to install 25' of insulated liner
4. $445 for Crown Sealant
5. $988 - Skirt Style Chimney Cap
Total $5,633

So I know I need the insulated liner, but I paid $800 to have a cap installed last year! The new chimney company says the old company installed a cap that just goes over the flue, but not the entire chimney. Is this necessary? Also, are these prices reasonable? This is a lot of money for my family. Thank you!

Some of those prices are pretty high

Ouch, looks high to me too. I'd get another quote or two.

I appreciate that feedback. I will work on getting two more quotes.

Do you think it is necessary to replace a one year old cap that doesn't cover the entire top of chimney?

I appreciate that feedback. I will work on getting two more quotes.

Do you think it is necessary to replace a one year old cap that doesn't cover the entire top of chimney?
Possibly there is no way for me to know without seeing it

I'd like to know why he is installing a steel cover and also charging for crown sealer.
Why bother with the crown sealer if you're going to cover the entire crown anyway.

I am attaching a photo I took of the cap. Still waiting to hear back from sweep with his close up photos.

That is a good point on the cap and crown sealer!

Screenshot_20220122-171134_Firefox.jpg

How tall is your chimney and do you know the interior dimension of your clay tiles?

I am attaching a photo I took of the cap. Still waiting to hear back from sweep with his close up photos.

That is a good point on the cap and crown sealer!

View attachment 290479
Ok so I see some major issues with the quote.

1. They are charging you $750 for scaffolding when the work could easily be completed with a simple roof platform and ridge ladder that takes 15 mins to set up.

2. $938 is very high for tile removal especially when they are charging as much as they are for the liner install

3. See above

4. Crown sealant is at best a temporary bandaid fix and certainly not needed if they are selling you a full coverage cap. It should be one or the other.

Hi. Thanks for the list, very helpful! Attached is a closeup photo from the sweep. Do you think this cap is sufficient?

Screenshot_20220124-211546_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Good evening. I received a message from a chimney sweep tonight recommending that I install a 5.5" insulated liner as this would save the cost of removing the tile. Is this okay for a stove calling for a 6" pipe? I need to call them back tomorrow to get a price.

Good evening. I received a message from a chimney sweep tonight recommending that I install a 5.5" insulated liner as this would save the cost of removing the tile. Is this okay for a stove calling for a 6" pipe? I need to call them back tomorrow to get a price.
For some stoves yes others no. Did they actually come out and look at the flue? An insulated 5.5 still won't fit in many 8x8 liners

I had my 6" liner ovalized and insulated, I think it was in a 8x8 clay liner

I had my 6" liner ovalized and insulated, I think it was in a 8x8 clay liner
How did ovalizing allow room for insulation in an 8x8? I guess if you installed is diagonally it would gain you a little.

I checked back on some old threads and it looks like my clay liner may have been 7X9 which makes more sense.

Last edited:
They are coming next Friday to look. They said the 5.5 is uninsulated.
That explains it. And did they verify that insulation is not required?

They haven't verified that. They said on the phone that the air between the liner an clay may be enough to insulate, but they would need to see it. I am leaning towards the 6" and clay removal.

Would you mind letting me know if you think the current caps are sufficient as that will save me $1k!

Thanks!

They haven't verified that. They said on the phone that the air between the liner an clay may be enough to insulate, but they would need to see it. I am leaning towards the 6" and clay removal.

Would you mind letting me know if you think the current caps are sufficient as that will save me $1k!

Thanks!
The cap certainly is sufficient but if the crown is bad it's possible replacing that cap with a full coverage skirted one may make sense economically

The sad part is the installer probably going to use very little of an old bucket of crown coat and it will take 10 minutes per coat. All you do is brush it on like a thick paint. With the other work...on that chimney the most I would pay is $250.00 for crown coat. Contractors are getting greedy in my area too....

https://chimneysaver.com/product/crowncoat-brushable-crown-repair/

Reactions: bholler
I'd have a new concrete crown poured or cover with a stainless steel skirt.
I've mesed with crown repair and it' s a short term bandaid.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
Hi all. I have received 4 quotes ranging from $3.5k to $4.8k for a new insulated liner. My favorite of them all was the lowest price, so I will be going with him.

Before I spend that much money on my stove I want to run one scenario by you all. I purchased kiln dried wood (verified through seller and moisture meter reading on fresh cut splits under 20%) and ran it in my stove. I am attaching two photos. One is a photo of the stove with the door open. Had it open for about 15 minutes and the stove top temp read 750. All air is open at this point. Second photo is about 30 seconds after I closed the door, air all open.

Is it normal for the flames to drop that much? I understand it isn't getting the same amount of oxygen, but I want to make sure a new steel liner will fix this as I can't afford to waste that kind of money. Also including a photo of the stove type showing the pipes. Thanks!

Screenshot_20220213-131233_Gallery.jpg 20220213_131123.jpg 20220213_132252.jpg