Chimney Liner install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tborgers

Jul 4, 2014
oshkosh wi
Hi I'm needing to install a chimney liner into my existing clay tile chimney. The issue is my chimney goes downward and then into a 90 degree into the house. The vertical doesn't run past the horizontal run into the house so I don't think the t snout piece will work. Is there any other options anyone knows of for this issue? There's not a clean out on the existing chimney, a wood stove was hooked up to it before. I appreciate any suggestions or help!

cut the bottom of the tee down so it fits if you cant get in there to clear the area to get more drop

I attached a picture of what I have, in your opinoin, does it look like it'd fit if i cut it down to near flush of the horizontal on the t snout piece. It posted the pictured wrong, if you rotate it Clockwise 90 degrees, you can see the white stuff on the bottom of the chimney

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 161
it would be much better if you could clear some of that mortar from the bottom to get some drop but if you cant cut the bottom of the tee down to fit

What do you mean? You should always use a tee at the bottom of the liner in a situation like this then you come out of the wall with rigid stainless and connect that to your pellet vent.

Not sure I fully get the setup, but I had a T put in a straight drop down - see attached...image.jpg

Yeah that is a totally different setup nhcpa the op has an chimney that comes down then a crock through the wall the tee will be inside the chimney.

Yeah that is a totally different setup nhcpa the op has an chimney that comes down then a crock through the wall the tee will be inside the chimney.
Since your here, would you recommend putting high temp silicone around the flex where it comes in? The top cap is sealed... Thanks

Since your here, would you recommend putting high temp silicone around the flex where it comes in?

No way. Silicone vaporizes around 800 degrees. Never use it on a pipe or liner.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks BB, I will scratch it from my wonderment list... I am sure Bholler will echo the same. You guys are the best of the best!

Since your here, would you recommend putting high temp silicone around the flex where it comes in? The top cap is sealed... Thanks

Yeah what bart said

Told a guy that five or six years ago here and he didn't listen. Posted later that they were sitting watching TV with a nice fire one night when "poof" and the silicone went away and really stunk up the joint.

Told a guy that five or six years ago here and he didn't listen. Posted later that they were sitting watching TV with a nice fire one night when "poof" and the silicone went away and really stunk up the joint.
My Harman install stunk up the place for 2 days...had a vinegar smell/taste to it...not that I licked it or anything, but was pretty pungent.

Somebody posted last week that their Blaze King curing smelled like pancakes. I don't wanna try their pancakes. >>

Somebody posted last week that their Blaze King curing smelled like pancakes. I don't wanna try their pancakes. >>
Well, if it had real VT/NH amber maple syrup on it, I may be tempted... But then again, it's not like I had a hankering for salad with the vinegar smell here...

Status
Not open for further replies.