Chimney liner options for wood stove install using zero clearance fireplace chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimk0157

Jul 15, 2014
Indianapolis
Hello,

I would like to install a new small wood burning stove (6 in flue pipe) in front of our existing ZC fireplace using the fireplace chimney with an insulated SS liner. Is this an acceptable method? All of the chimney liner info I've seen pertain to masonry chimneys.

Thanks.

that is a bit of a controversial topic. I would personally be ok with a freestanding stove and liner in a zc as long as all clearances are met and the zc is un modified but not an insert. Others will have different opinions for sure

as far as the liner there are some that are approved to go in the chimney of a zc. The problem is that the zc chimney is not approved for a liner so there is a contradiction. This is the problem with running other units in or through a zc unit

I see absolutely no issues running an insulated 6" liner down a pre-fab chimney. Think about it, that chimney is designed to contain a flue fire! Running an insulated liner inside of that will be fine.
The real issue for me is getting the proper clearances for the stove, too often there isn't enough hearth. The stove either doesn't have enough ember protection out front, or its too close the mantel.

I see absolutely no issues running an insulated 6" liner down a pre-fab chimney. Think about it, that chimney is designed to contain a flue fire! Running an insulated liner inside of that will be fine.
The real issue for me is getting the proper clearances for the stove, too often there isn't enough hearth. The stove either doesn't have enough ember protection out front, or its too close the mantel.

I agree with you but it is a potential code issue. I feel if all the requirements of the stove can be met i see no problem with a freestander. I don't like the idea of an insert though which isn't an issue here. I personally would not install either due to liability issues but i dont see any real safety issue with a freestander if clearances and floor protection are met

Welcome jimk. Yes, your requested method is acceptable. Pay attention to clearances, especially if there is mantel woodwork. The hearth must also be to the wood stove mfg. spec.

Thanks for all your replies.

For a followup questions: My current ZC chimney has an offset in the attic of about 8 feet using two 45's. How flexible is the typical liner? Is it going to be a bear to snake around these curves? Any special techniques and/or tools to use?

Jim

Are you sure they are not 30 degree offset angles? 45s are not allowed in chimney pipe.

Are you sure they are not 30 degree offset angles? 45s are not allowed in chimney pipe.

I guess it must be 30 degrees then. It's a 5 year old house. The fireplace is roughly centered under the roof peak. They offset it so they could put the chimney chase on the back side of the house roof so it's not predominantly visible from the street.

It should be ok for pulling the liner then. What size is the chimney pipe? Are there any labels on it that identify it?

Status
Not open for further replies.