Q&A Chimney Liner Required

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am in the process of trying to purchase a high efficiency woodstove for my basement. The Chimney is a newer external chimney with a clay liner. I have been told that the Chimney should have 1" clearance to the building or else I have to install a stainless steel chimney liner. Is this requirement just gold digging or cause for real concern? I don't think I have ever seen chimney constructed with 1" clearance to combustibles, especially with the older houses like mine. (1910's).

Answer:

You are correct that it is rare to see a properly built chimney. Yes, it is correct that even a masonry chimney requires a clearance to combustibles....even though less than 5% of the chimneys out there are built this way (if even that many). I cannot put a seal of safety approval on it, but chances are that the installing store or even a township construction official may be able to inspect and OK it for you. In the end, safety is always a matter of degree, and economics do figure into the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.