Chimney liner selection for rectangular chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WesM

Nov 13, 2021
Maryland USA
Hopefully this is the right place to post this, if not feel free to move the thread.

So I recently purchased a Drolet Columbia II (looks really good!) and am working on getting the right liner for my Chimney. I currently have a brick and what looks like terracotta lined chimney. Everything seems in very good shape, no cracks and the mortar in the brick is all very solid. Chimney almost looks unused. Unfortunately I recently lost my job to all this COVID junk, so price is definitely a concern, but not at the cost of safety.

The inside dimensions of the chimney are 11.5"x6.5". The overall length from top of the chimney to the T where the wood stove will connect is 16'. The chimney straight shot to the T (no bends) on an outside wall. Local climate is what we get in MD (can get down to 10F, but rarely, typically mid 20s-30s for dec/jan/feb) Basically I am trying to figure out if I need to get an ovalized ($$$$$) liner and insulate it for safety/code or if I can safely use a 6" round liner not insulated and go for there.

Few pics of my chimney and stove setup.

PXL_20211218_181621310.jpg PXL_20211221_193448709.MP.jpg PXL_20211221_193701458.jpg PXL_20211221_193704170.MP.jpg

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, if not feel free to move the thread.

So I recently purchased a Drolet Columbia II (looks really good!) and am working on getting the right liner for my Chimney. I currently have a brick and what looks like terracotta lined chimney. Everything seems in very good shape, no cracks and the mortar in the brick is all very solid. Chimney almost looks unused. Unfortunately I recently lost my job to all this COVID junk, so price is definitely a concern, but not at the cost of safety.

The inside dimensions of the chimney are 11.5"x6.5". The overall length from top of the chimney to the T where the wood stove will connect is 16'. The chimney straight shot to the T (no bends) on an outside wall. Local climate is what we get in MD (can get down to 10F, but rarely, typically mid 20s-30s for dec/jan/feb) Basically I am trying to figure out if I need to get an ovalized ($$$$$) liner and insulate it for safety/code or if I can safely use a 6" round liner not insulated and go for there.

Few pics of my chimney and stove setup.

View attachment 288197 View attachment 288198 View attachment 288199 View attachment 288200
Do you have the required 1" clearance from the outside of the masonry structure to combustible materials? If so you can get by without insulation but it will not perform as well as it could. If you don't you need insulation. Also check how the area where it passes through the wall is done. Chances are combustibles are to close there as well

Reactions: WesM
Do you have the required 1" clearance from the outside of the masonry structure to combustible materials? If so you can get by without insulation but it will not perform as well as it could. If you don't you need insulation. Also check how the area where it passes through the wall is done. Chances are combustibles are to close there as well

The wood stove and brick surround are in my basement, so the wall is solid cinderblock and brick all the way to the ceiling. I'm assuming that is considered a non combustible and should be safe? I will take a look and see if there is any clearance between the wood framing of the main floor and the chimney, but I think there is not.

The area it passes through the wall is also 8" diameter steel pipe, so I should have an inch all the way round the 6" T to put in insulation. That should make it double walled and insulated. I also plan on using double wall stove pipe on the inside since the wall pass through is only 15" from the ceiling.

The wood stove and brick surround are in my basement, so the wall is solid cinderblock and brick all the way to the ceiling. I'm assuming that is considered a non combustible and should be safe? I will take a look and see if there is any clearance between the wood framing of the main floor and the chimney, but I think there is not.
In that case yes the wall passthrough area should be perfectly fine

Reactions: WesM
Those are nice stoves,but it's going to be somewhat of a pain loading it with a right hand opening door.

Those are nice stoves,but it's going to be somewhat of a pain loading it with a right hand opening door.
They are nice stoves! I'm hoping since the door swings pretty far out, I wont have any issues loading it up. I'm thinking since this is mainly a supplemental heat source to our heatpump and will not be run 24/7 it wont be too much of an issue.