Chimney Location - need advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RyanTW

Jan 4, 2021
Coventry CT
Hi, I am in the process of installing my wood stove. It's a US2000-BP stove. I am installing it in a rear sunroom that is roughly 29x14'. This rear sunroom attaches to the back of our cape style house. I am planning on running my stack through the roof with 2 90degree bends in the stove pipe. I need the bends for offsets so I can meet combustible clearances of the wood stove and not have to cut rafters. My question is, will I run into draft issues OR downdraft issues where I'm going to locate it? I wasn't really concerned about this until I started looking at recommended spots by Vermont Castings and they recommend not putting the chimney in the location where I want to put it. I have attached the image for reference. My pitches are much less than the pitches they depict in the image and the chimney will go up much higher. I can draw it to scale if necessary.

I know this isn't the "best" spot and it may be over powered for the area but worst case I'll swap out the stove for a smaller unit.

Chimney Location.jpg

Last edited:
It would be much better to use two 45º elbows with a diagonal stovepipe connector to mitigate draft reduction.

What exactly is a diagonal stovepipe connector?
The diagonal stovepipe connector sits between the upper and lower 45º elbows. This is what creates the offset.
Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 9.31.18 AM.png

Oh I see what you are saying now. That would probably be much better for draft. Thank you!
Any comments on the chimney location?

It's not a great situation. Will the chimney be able to meet the 10-3-2 rule? (see stove manual if this is unclear)
• It must rise above the roof at least 3’ (0.9m) from the uppermost point of contact.
• The chimney must exceed any part of the building or other obstruction within a 10’ (3.04m) distance by a height of 2’ (0.6m).

What direction are the prevailing winter winds in relation to the chimney and house?

Yes it will meet the guidelines for sure. The winds come out of the North to NW. The front of the house faces mostly North.

Just be careful with the idea of swirling winds from the air foil effect taking the smoke smell and displacing it into your attic via soffit or poorly sealed window.

Just be careful with the idea of swirling winds from the air foil effect taking the smoke smell and displacing it into your attic via soffit or poorly sealed window.

Good point.
The exhaust exit height will be at least on par with the height of the primary house. I have attached a crude drawing.

What would you do to negate this?

Estimate.jpg

Last edited:
What would you do to negate this?
Relocate the stove to the other wall and go straight up the side of the main house then maintain the 3-2-10ft rule off the main roof. Also if you keep your plan A in place you will need additional bracing, like guy wires.

Relocate the stove to the other wall and go straight up the side of the main house then maintain the 3-2-10ft rule off the main roof. Also if you keep your plan A in place you will need additional bracing, like guy wires.
I am planning for bracing.
That was my original plans to relocate to the other wall but it just doesn't work as well for the room. There are always trade offs I guess.