Chimney on low end of roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

caraanne

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Hello,
I've just finished building a very small cabin (16x16) with a mono-pitch, shed-style roof. The whole time I was building the cabin, I had planned to install a wood stove in the back corner of the cabin, with the chimney going straight up through the roof. This would put the chimney on the very low end of this shed-style roof.

Of course, when I got around to buying the stovepipe I realized that this is inadvisable, because of the risk of snow avalanche knocking the chimney off. Unfortunately, moving the stove to the front end of the house would drastically change the floor plan. It's doable, but it would mean that a stovepipe would go straight up through the loft where the bedroom is supposed to be, taking up a sizeable chunk of the only standing room available in this very small loft.

I am now in an argument with my boyfriend about the placement of the stove. He thinks we should move it to the opposite end, close to the peak. I think that we should install it at the low end, with a strong brace and a large metal snow diverter directly above it.

What would you guys do?
Has anyone installed a snow diverter that failed to protect the chimney? Or do they tend to work alright?

I'm in Maine in a pretty high snow load area, although it's coastal so it's not quite in the "snow belt." But storms are definitely a possibility.

It's a 4/12 pitch metal roof.

Any advice would be appreciated! I feel silly for not thinking of this in the planning stage, but I've lived in apartments most of my life so I haven't given roofs much thought before this.

I doubt that you will get much of a snow avalance with a 4:12 pitch, that is not very steep.
I would put the stove where you planned and put in the snow diverter.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
A 4:12 pitch roof will have the snow sliding very slowly off the drip line and many times you get a huge mid air curl. My wood shed has the same pitch and I am well northwest of you at Moosehead Lake.

It should be ok as planned with the diverter and with the chimney pipe properly braced at the 5 ft. level.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Thanks for your replies, any more are welcome -- the more opinions, the better. My boyfriend's father is a roofer and has voiced stern disapproval about anything less than a chimney up at the peak. The house he lives in has a 12/12 pitch metal roof, though, so maybe he's just gotten used to crazy snow avalanches.

If anyone can recommend a snow diverter they've used in the past, I'm interested in suggestions. I was also considering making one. Though, I'm still not sure I've convinced him not to move the chimney.

Big difference from a 12:12 to a 4:12
Old roofer guy ought to be aware of the difference

He's aware, just overly cautious and someone who won't ever sacrifice proper installation for the sake of convenience or aesthetics. And I think the additional holes in the roof needed to mount a bracket and snow diverter go against his principles of roof purism.